Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thunderbird Email Setup

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 gkp100

gkp100

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:40 PM

I have been using Outlook Express to date but I am now trying to use Thunderbird, as I was told it was less likely to pickup viruses. When I try to send an attachment with Outlook it sends many, many, many emails to the receiver with no attachments.
When I try to send an email through Thunderbird I get this error "The mail server responded:5.7.0. Must issue a STARTTLS command first".
When I try to receive an email I just get a timed out message.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
gkp100

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:05 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:52 PM

Step one. Make sure your E-mail account is configured properly according to the instructions provided by the E-mail provider, and that the provider supposts Tb. (If there are no instructions for Tb, then if there are some for Netscape, take a look at those)
Step two. Your provider should have a list of error messages (customer support or help or FAQ) that might provide a clue as to what is causing the problem. Look under your Tb account's properties/account settings/server settings; there is a cartouche for "security settings" that you may have to change to "TLS."
Hope this helps,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 J_pyro_C

J_pyro_C

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:25 PM

What E-mail service do you use?
there is many guides to help you set Thunderbird up with different email services
Gmail: http://gmail.google.com/support/bin/answer...&topic=1555
if you want to set up others(Yahoo,Hotmail,Lycos,etc...) just do the same thing but instead of typing in gmail or google in all the places where your suppose to just type in yahoo or hotmail or something like that also if that doesnt work just use google to search for guides on how to set it up.

Edited by J_pyro_C, 17 October 2006 - 11:29 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users