Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New all in one

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Meanie

Meanie

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 12 November 2018 - 08:32 PM

Trying to help a friend with the purchase of a new PC. He likes the all in one but would settle for a CPU tower desktop. He doesn't need anything elaborate. Mainly for data processing and internet browsing. Though, i think it'd be a good idea to have something a bit more advance in case he wants to do more than the basic requirements. He wants to keep the budget under $1000. I'm seeking suggestions for such a system.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

Here is a selection of above-average desktops; read the users' reviews for further insight. I suggest these as opposed to a lower-powered/quality computer because if your friend suddenly decides he would like to do some graphics work, sound editing of his favorite songs, or anything else above simple word processing he can have enough power. Bear in mind that some may or may not include keyboard and mouse. Also.,...Newegg has a 30 day return policy if you don't like it, but read their terms anyway to be sure.

https://www.newegg.com/Gaming-Desktops/SubCategory/ID-3742

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#3 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,209 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 AM

Posted 14 November 2018 - 06:59 PM

To add to ranchhand_'s comments, does your friend already have a monitor ?  If not that would need to be included in the budget if you go the tower route. The mouse and keyboard included or not is hardly a deal breaker as you can get a basic keyboard and mouse for $US 30 or less. Perhaps not pretty but they will work !

Chris Cosgrove

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:43 AM

Trying to help a friend with the purchase of a new PC. He likes the all in one but would settle for a CPU tower desktop. He doesn't need anything elaborate. Mainly for data processing and internet browsing. Though, i think it'd be a good idea to have something a bit more advance in case he wants to do more than the basic requirements. He wants to keep the budget under $1000. I'm seeking suggestions for such a system.

Thank you

With that kind of budget it will not be hard!  

Where would he prefer to shop?

Do you need to figure in the Setup, or can he do that himself?  Printer, Software etc.  So reasonably speaking will this still be a 1000.00 project?

If space is a concern then the AIO is awesome! and to be honest I love them.  Don't know why but I think it's the space they save along with everything being up top on the desk.  Considering you mentioned an AIO perhaps space is an issue, but there is still the SFF-Small Form Factor which would be fine for his needs as long as he don't need to have multiple Internal Drives, and some even support Two.

The Dells are awesome, and I would suggest at least an i3 with 8GB of RAM, Tower or AIO.  Some of the Dell AIO's are real impressive!

With all due respect, I think ranchhand_'s suggestions are a little too much for his needs.  I would go with something like these below and allow for a Monitor, Keyboard and mouse of his choice.  This is just a reference, I'm not a big fan of newegg but they have some good bargains.

Dell Towers Newegg  Be careful of what you order, most of these have SSD's in them and he may not want that.  

And as Chris asked, does he have a monitor, and if so what kind of connection does he prefer, VGA, DVI or Displayport?  If he is picky about his video this may come into play as most lower end Towers don't come with DisplayPort or DVI.

Consider Windows 10 Pro also?

This is an amazing deal IMO  Dell SFF with Monitor

Once you narrow things down there are lots of knowledgeable folks here that can look them over for you.

Edited by pcpunk, 17 November 2018 - 10:47 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#5 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,336 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2018 - 10:57 AM

Here are my amazon picks.  Honestly I don't know the best place to buy a New computer and would seriously consider walking in a store to purchase one, only because I see what happens to things during shipping.

Amazon Tower choices Dell

Amazon Dell AIO Powerhouse

Edited by pcpunk, 17 November 2018 - 11:01 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#6 Meanie

Meanie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 95 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2018 - 03:23 PM

Thank you for the suggestions. He bought an AIO HP at our local MicroCenter computer store. He liked the AIO due to space and it's what he had before. Compared to his old Gateway with Windows 7 slower than molasses AIO, the HP is a rocket and he's loving it. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users