Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Driver issue with Server 2016

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:23 AM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:32 PM

Just installed Server 2016 Standard on a lenovo PC. Its the only thing that is on the PC. Before install it had Windows 10 and all was working fine. The issue now is 2 drivers that are missing.

Ethernet Controller and PCI Simple Communications Controller

I tried installing the intel driver from the intel site for the ethernet card with no luck. It said it was for server 2016.

I am confused at this point. I should be loading drivers for server 2016, right? Is there another name for the PCI Simple Communications Controller driver? 

Not sure how to figure out what to do at this point. My first time loading server OS. Need help on this one.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,133 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 08:50 PM

I have been through this exact scenario. Unfortunately no driver exists for Intel Desktop network chip set and Server 2016. I have tried this with Server 2012 and Server 2016 on three different desktop boards. I also tried modifying the inf file, forcing the driver to load and it still did not work. You need to find a PCI Express Network card with the Intel l350 chipset such as this Card or use a USB to Ethernet adapter. For the PCI Simple Communications Controller can you post the Hardware ID from the device properties?

Edit: You could also try installing the Server in a Hyper-V environment. Server 2016 supports the Network Drivers for Hyper-V and you can run Hyper-V from within Windows 10. If you are practicing for real world deployment this is the best option. 99% of Servers are Virtual deployments in either Hyper-V or ESXi.

Edited by Sneakycyber, 10 November 2018 - 08:54 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#3 copiman

copiman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 69 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:27 AM

I connected a 3.0 USB to Ethernet adapter and now have a network connection. Thank you. Below is the hardware id for the driver I need.

Also, I want to make sure my thoughts are right about virtual deployment. Should I reload Windows 10, then install Hyper-V or ESXi, and then install Server 2016? If not what order should I do. I plan on doing some research and watch videos, which I have, but am still a little uneasy about it. Of course I will continue to research for learning purposes. Still in school and received Server 2016 free through a program they have. I plan to use it to aid in study for certs. 

Here is the PCI driver info:

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_1C3A&SUBSYS_361617AA&REV_04

Edited by copiman, 11 November 2018 - 08:08 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users