Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

dell lattitude e4300 no boot no display

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:40 PM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 04:19 PM

Hi! I have a Dell Lattitude e4300 not working and need to repair. It is running windows xp professional. I installed a new hard drive but it still will not run. When I power it on, it jjust shows a brief moment flashing the hard drive indicator and some other indicators, then it flashes 3 keyboard keys like the caps lock, scroll lock or the 3,4 and 5 keys for a while and it flashess for 5 seconds and turns off and then on again for 5 seconds everytime but no bootup, I hear a whirring of the hard drive but nothing else and then the power on indicators flash all over again for 5 secs and then off.

Please let me know what is wrong.  Hope this helps the situation.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:02 PM

can you boot into the bios and see if your hard drive is listed?

how did you install xp on your hard drive if it is doing all this?

is the hard drive compatible with your computer?

#3 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2018 - 12:06 AM

I just changed the same model hard drive and I can't view the bios because it won't even read the processor only the symptoms that I have posted are the trouble. I can't view anything on screen. thanks.

#4 Havachat

Havachat

• Members
  • 1,166 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 11 November 2018 - 05:27 AM

Press and hold "F2" on the computer keyboard when the Dell logo appears on the screen. The computer will enter the system setup program to display information stored in BIOS

OR  https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-enter-bios-on-a-dell-latitude

If you get into Bios , See if Hard Drive is Detected or Shown , Then Reset to defaults and Reboot , Ensure in the Boot Menu that the HDrive is Selected as First Boot Device.

If you try to Reinstall XP from a Disc { Now a Obselete Operating System } ensure to Boot from the CDRom.

#5 misar

misar

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 11 November 2018 - 09:19 AM

I just changed the same model hard drive and I can't view the bios because it won't even read the processor only the symptoms that I have posted are the trouble. I can't view anything on screen. thanks.

This sounds like you changed the system drive of the computer, not replaced an extra data drive. How did you copy or install Windows on to the new drive?

Even without a Windows drive installed you should be able to access the BIOS (it is not stored on a drive). If the advice above to access the BIOS does not work you must have caused some other problem while changing the drive.

#6 rdfor7xg1c

rdfor7xg1c
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:57 AM

Everything installed perfectly when I installed the hard drive. I was watching a youtube video of how to clean my fan. So I decided to dismantle the display section of the laptop.  I might have pulled the display cables that are connected to the radio switch. I recently downloaded the service manual from Dell and discovered this cable wires in teh service manual. 

Could it be possible that I may have accidentally yank out the small tiny wires that display the screen function to display while attempting to dismantle and clean my fan blower in the laptop?  

After installing my hard drive everything was working fine. As soon as I dismantled the display section and with mixed results decided to put the pieces back together, and boot the computer thats when It displayed the three flashing keyboard keys like the cps lock, scroll key and the key that has a down arrow on it on the 3, 4 or 5 key.

Thats when the problem started.

If someone can me show step by step how to reconnect the display cable to the motherboard, that might solve the problem.  The problem was I wanted to clean the fan blower in the laptop but since I couldn't get to it by dismantling the first sections of the laptop to get to it, I decided to put them back together with disastrous results, and that is how the display is not working..

I anyone can show me step by step how to dismantle the laptop until the section where the display is so I can connect the cables, I thiink I may be able to solve the problem.

Thanks

#7 Elizabeth23

Elizabeth23

• Members
  • 46 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

I read the service manual and it pretty much shows how to replace the display assemble (pg 46 of the pdf) and which wires go where.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users