Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Bitdefender Vs. Norton Security Suite

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 skuddle

skuddle

• Members
  • 37 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:05 PM

I am running Windows 10 and Firefox 63.0.1. My Norton Security Suite will expire in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about replacing it with Bitdefender. Norton does not appear to be rated very high in comparison with other similar software, while Bitdefender ranks right up at the top in the reviews that I've read.

Does Firefox work well with Bitdefender or are there problems with it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,912 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:46 AM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 03:42 PM

I would uninstall Norton before it expires (to avoid any issues that sometimes occur after expiration) and just use Windows 10 Defender (Windows Defender Antivirus) which is Microsoft's free built-in (integrated) anti-virus and anti-malware solution. It provides the same level of protection against malware as Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE) provides on older operation systems plus enhanced protection against rootkits and bootkits and protection against potentially unwanted programs if that feature is enabled. Microsoft has incorporated a number of significant improvements which make it competitive with other major anti-virus vendors including many paid for products.

Windows Defender Exploit Guard has four components of new intrusion prevention capabilities designed to lock down a system against various attack vectors and block behaviors commonly used in ransomware attacks before any damage can be done. "Controlled Folder Access" Anti-Ransomware is a feature that allows you to protect files in certain folders to that they cannot be modified by unknown applications. This protects the files within these folders from being encrypted by a ransomware infection. In Windows 10 Spring Creators Update, Microsoft also added a dedicated Ransomware Protection section in the Windows Defender Security Center under the "Virus & threat protection" settings.

For more specific information about Windows Defender, see my comments in Choosing an Anti-Virus Program.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 Rocky Bennett

Rocky Bennett

• Members
  • 2,932 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:46 AM

Posted 11 November 2018 - 08:45 AM

I am running Windows 10 and Firefox 63.0.1. My Norton Security Suite will expire in a couple of weeks and I was thinking about replacing it with Bitdefender. Norton does not appear to be rated very high in comparison with other similar software, while Bitdefender ranks right up at the top in the reviews that I've read.

Does Firefox work well with Bitdefender or are there problems with it?

I know that you did not ask about the built in Windows Defender, but that is what I would recommend over Norton and Bitdefender. Windows Defender is just as good and requires less resources.

594965_zpsp5exvyzm.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users