Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

power to desktop

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 millipede

millipede

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:59 AM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:35 AM

It's early and I'm just not in the mood for troubleshooting :(

I had my pc on for several days with firefox open and decided I should shut it all down last night. Now I regret that. It will not turn on. I've pressed that power button multiple times... tried holding it down as well... nothing... not a sound.

The power button itself has an orangish glow to it... so, power has to be getting there at least a little.

This thing has been acting up a little here and there, mostly minor stuff... but I've been planning on building a new one for a couple years now. I was all set to start building a new one soon as I had a family member give me some money BUT... some of that money has already gone to other things that were needed... like fixing our driveway and paying a few bills. Humbug...  :(

If there's light at the power button, I'll assume there's a light on at the back of the psu but I haven't checked that yet.  ugh, I'm so not in the mood for troubleshooting... then again, I'm definitely not in the mood for my pc not working.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:59 AM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:18 AM

Try unplugging it, then press and hold the power button for about 30 seconds.

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

#3 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 11:15 AM

Okay, tried that. no joy.  I even tried moving the psu plug to the wall instead of the heavy power strip I normally have it on... just to see if that changed anything

The orange/amber glow of the power button is now not even present. 
The green light on the back of the psu seems to be fading in and out just a tiny bit... sort of alternating its brightness.

Let me know if there's anything else I should or could test or, does it just seem like a psu issue at this point???    I'd like to order a new part if that's what I need, sooner than later. :)

And, if that is the case... 

I still have plans to build a new pc at some point...  so, I'm thinking whatever psu i get, I'd want it to be something i can later use in the new build...  I'm guessing that wouldn't be a problem...?  Something going into a new(not yet purchased) case should technically fit in my current Dell Inspiron right? as far as PSU's go... 

Oh the joys of technology... :(

#4 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:50 PM

anyone?  Just had one of the kids hit the power button and it has a nice amber/orange glow to it again... but wont turn white and turn on still.

Time to order a new psu?  This is going to stink, waiting...  I have 4 kids that have their own laptops that I can use some but they all have schoolwork to do... so I may be "borrowing" my wife's laptop more, if it works. That's usually the machine with the most problems. 

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 10 November 2018 - 06:58 PM

The power supply has failed.  

#6 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 09:49 PM

That's what I figured... I guess, as long as it works, that will be my first purchase for my future build.

any thoughts on that? Are power supplies still pretty standard as far as dimensions go?  My current setup is a dell inspiron, windows 7, from like 7 years ago(ish, bad memory) and I need to get a power supply that will fit in there(psu at top of case) AND in a new build in the near future... 

Side note/question...  why is the psu at the bottom of newer cases these days?

#7 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:06 PM

Why not post in the System building section, tell us what you usage will be you will get suggestions to chew on.

#8 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 10 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

at the moment, I"m not actually starting a build because of money... :(

Will the type of build I end up affect what kind of power supply I'd get? And would it potentially be something that's not compatible with my current machine?

I can post in that section if it is easier... mostly needing to figure out the power supply for the current build so I can get my machine up and running...  BUT... I'd rather not by a psu now and then again in the spring, or sooner, when I build a new machine. I'd rather have something that will be compatible with about anything so I don't have to buy 2. 

This question make sense? and, would it be better suited to that section?   
I've started a few build topics over there in the past... times when I hoped to build and then stuff came up and I just haven't gotten it done yet. Some day keeps getting away from me for some reason. :(

I can say it isn't going to be anything fancy.

#9 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,884 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:59 AM

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:03 AM

When it comes to Dell, they have a good customer support and will ship you the exact part.  Just supply the model and serial number and prices are reasonable.

#10 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 378 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:35 AM

My current setup is a dell inspiron

Can you post the exact model of Dell Inspiron for us so that we can do some research, not all Dell computers use standard ATX power supplies and some of them are not even square, an example list of Inspirons can be found here

#11 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2018 - 11:20 PM

Dell Inspiron 560    Is listed in my profile... if you need more of a number than that I'll have to try and get it tomorrow.

At this point, I might even just look for a used psu, or whatever might be cheap on ebay... and then worry about a better one when I build.  We'll see.

#12 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 12 November 2018 - 10:38 PM

I'm not ready to start making a parts list for a new pc yet... 

With that in mind... would this question now be better served in the building section or does it still work here?

And what are the thoughts on buying a new psu?  If I HOPE to build new by tax time... should I consider buying a psu that I can use now and then move into the build? Or just buy something now for this machine only?  and worry about the psu for the new build when the time comes?

Thoughts?

Had my son try and grab some pictures of the tower in the desk... took a few tries but got the sticker on the side.  Model number is HP- P3017F3   LF   Not sure if the LF was vital... searching without it brought up plenty of good results.  New for that exact model on ebay was $26ish...  saw a used one for $10 but that has me not feeling so certain... ha.
And I don't really need to stay with that exact model I'm sure... but that's what's in there.

Got a picture of all the input/output info... 300W, etc...  so if any of that is necessary I can get it.

Too tired to really think about this but, still feels weird not being able to use my own computer. So... I better do something. HA

#13 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 13 November 2018 - 09:46 PM

Me and my decision making abilities(ha) and all, still haven't done anything yet. It's frustrating trying to decide how much money to spend here and there. Bad enough I have to either buy a new laptop screen for one of my kids or, have them keep using an external monitor... 

Using another child's laptop when they're not using it for schoolwork(homeschooled so, that's most of the day they're using it) isn't ideal but, I'm getting by til I figure something out.
I sent an email to a local college and, they might check to see if they have anything in their "recycle" bin or something. I'm not super hopeful... especially when the first person to respond(through another person) said they don't usually have Dell Inspirons so they might not have anything. Doesn't have to come from the same bran computer... hopefully the person that checks knows that.  Again, not hopeful.

But.......

I'm going back and forth with a person on craigslist about a tower they're selling... it's an xp machine(mine is 7) and apparently it started beeping at them so they're getting rid of the tower, psu, and a Radeon HD 2600 Pro. It's basically everything except the hdd and memory... for $10.

So I got them to send pictures of the card to see if it's something I could use, at least on this machine maybe... it only uses dvi connections and my monitor(s) use vga...  BUT... all that for $10?  The main thing was the psu...  I had them send me a picture of the psu.

Now I have to figure out if this is compatible with my machine...

nXrmX0Y.jpg

Doing a search on that model# brought up a LOT of stuff that doesn't match that. So, I'm not quite sure what kind of connectors it has. My current psu is hp-p3017f3   
They're both 300W power supplies...  All those other little specs with the v's and a's are displayed differently on my psu... some match, some are off just a little.

So, I have to figure out if it's worth $10 to pick up that parts machine. Would be great if I could find something local and cheap that will work at least for now.

#14 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,238 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Does Dell still use dedicated power supplies?

#15 millipede

millipede
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 662 posts
  •  

Posted 14 November 2018 - 09:32 AM

I had to look up what you meant by that. Like an extra psu just for the graphics card? I have no idea if that's what you mean, or how that pertains to this conversation.

The most important thing I need to figure out is if the psu in the picture is compatible with my setup.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users