Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable To Burn Cds

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 fee

fee

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

i have a toshiba laptop its about 6 months old the burning software i got with it is sonic DLA
a while ago i was getting a message saying something about the RAMASST.exe not eing compatible with something else (sorry im not sure what it was) and one of them could not function while the other one was. but it has worked fine since then.
and just recently i was trying to burn a music cd on Windows media player and it would start but couldnt finish and was suggesting the disk was dirty but i have tried numerous disks. so i tried on sonic but the same thing was happening. so i tried to "open a writable cd folder using windows explorer" and i got the message "D:\ is not accessible Incorrect function." since then i have uninstalled sonic but now i get the same message as soon as i insert a blank cd.

i have no problem burning dvds

thank for your help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:20 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:25 PM

I spent several hours with this problem recently - turns out Toshiba's DVD-RAM drives have a function that will turn off CD recording (I'm using my Toshiba right now).

Open My Computer and right click on the CD drive. Select Properties, then select the Recording tab. Check the box to enable recording and you should be good to go!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 fee

fee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:00 PM

i don't appear to have a recording tab the burner im using isn't toshiba brand its a MATbleepA DVD-RAM UJ-831S. im not sure if this makes a difference
thanks any way

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

I've got a Matbleepa blah, blah, blah 8415. (close to yours). My Toshiba is an M45 model.

Are you sure that you clicked on the DVD drive (the other drive won't have this tab)? If so, then there's something messed up with your setup. Do you have the Toshiba tools installed (I removed them from my system). If so, try looking around the Toshiba tools for a similar setting (I spent 4 hours in the Charlotte, NC airport trying to figure this out - so I could copy pics of my grand-kids for my own kids!)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 fee

fee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:35 PM

im not sure what your talking about but the toshiba utilities in my start menu don't have anything that refers to the burner
i have also tried using the slient night micro burner it appeared to work fine but when i tried to put the cd back in i got the same not accessible message.

#6 fee

fee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:11 PM

ok i found another message when i plugged my usb drive in i got this message: by enabling "cd recording function", you cannot write to dvd ram. do you still want to enable this function. it does not apperar to make any difference wether i click yes or no.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:42 PM

That's the message!!! Did you reboot after enabling it? Did it still make no difference? Then you may have a problem with the installed software (IMO the Toshiba stuff is not needed and a bit buggy).

You may have to reinstall the Toshiba utilities, or try and fix XP.

#8 fee

fee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 03:26 AM

ok i have gotten rid of most of the toshiba crap.
i enabled the cd recording function and then robooted but i am still getting the D:\ is not acessible message. and i still don't have a recording tab in the properties of the burner.
arrrrgghhhh!!!!!!!!!

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:35 PM

This worked for me (but YMMV (Your Mileage May Vary)). I formatted my hard drive and then booted off the Toshiba recovery CD. When it asked me about the Toshiba tools I told it "No" and don't have half of the problems that I had with it installed.

FWIW - the format and reinstall was actually the result an accident. I was testing some imaging software and accidentally deleted the partition with the image on it (after I had formatted the Toshiba) - so I had to use the recovery CD and was amazed when it let me chose to not use the Toshiba stuff.

Another thing to consider is that the drive may have died on you. Any chance of trying another in it's place?

#10 fee

fee
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

ok well i havent had a chance to have a another look at it but i have no idea what your talking about. where would i be able to find another driver. and won't formatting get rid of all the stuff i want?

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:16 AM

You can check the Toshiba support website for a new driver.

Yes, formatting will wipe everything off of your hard drive - but there's options (such as a USB drive) that'll allow you to save your stuff before formatting.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users