Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

[ORION] HDD Question based on Value of the Hard Drive..

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ArmadaLegacy

ArmadaLegacy

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:05 AM

Posted 08 November 2018 - 11:36 PM

Hey guys..

I got a question concerning my desktops hard drive..

it has been crashing and such.. and anyways I did some research on the hard drive.. and found some neat tools to scan the hard drive and find out the life span of the hard drive..

I don't know if you have better tools or not.. but someone on you tube recommended me to use "CrystalDiskInfo" in order to scan the hard drive and find out if it still has life in it..

Here is the status of my hard drive via "CrystalDiskInfo". 

Attached File  110818-HARDDRIVESTATUS002.jpg   351KB   0 downloads

[QUESTION 1] My Question is,.. Knowing the Harddrive is in caution stage.. would it perform better as a portable external hard drive and not crash like it just did again 1 min ago? 

[QUESTION 2] Can the hard drive be fixed or re-sold on ebay or would someone not think it's worth anything and basicly the hard drive is worthless?

Thanks alot!

~ Samuel

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

110918-9:16 AM: NEW REPLY:

I posted a New Report to make sure.. it is the hard drive failing and not something else.. 

NEW ERROR/CRASH REPORTS:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/686355/orion-hdd-question-based-on-value-of-the-hard-drive/?p=4607633

Edited by ArmadaLegacy, 09 November 2018 - 09:20 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Porthos

Porthos

• Members
  • 36 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:40 AM

Replace it as soon as possible. Dont take chances with your data. You dont "fix" a hard drive. Donttrust it even in an external case. Do not screw sommeone by selling it on Ebay or anywhere else.

It will make a great paperweight.

Edited by Porthos, 09 November 2018 - 12:43 AM.

#3 ArmadaLegacy

ArmadaLegacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:56 AM

Replace it as soon as possible. Dont take chances with your data. You dont "fix" a hard drive. Donttrust it even in an external case. Do not screw sommeone by selling it on Ebay or anywhere else.

It will make a great paperweight.

Shoot!! I Wonder if I can cut a hole in it and use it for a flower pot.. 

Fixing to upgrade to a SSD from crucial.. 

Edited by ArmadaLegacy, 09 November 2018 - 12:56 AM.

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 09 November 2018 - 06:24 AM

I would not advise replacing based on the values that I see...Crystal Disk is a good utility, but (IMO) the best utility for assessing functional status of any hard drive...will be one developed/recommended by the manufacturer of said drive.

Appears to be a Seagate drive...SeaTools for Windows or SeaTools for DOS would be the tools wihich I would use.

Louis

#5 ArmadaLegacy

ArmadaLegacy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2018 - 09:14 AM

I would not advise replacing based on the values that I see...Crystal Disk is a good utility, but (IMO) the best utility for assessing functional status of any hard drive...will be one developed/recommended by the manufacturer of said drive.

Appears to be a Seagate drive...SeaTools for Windows or SeaTools for DOS would be the tools wihich I would use.

Louis

Thank you so much for that..

I could be wrong but when the computer crashed I was getting blue screen errors,.. I got a screen shot of that error..

Attached File  CRASHREPORT-001.jpg   175.33KB   2 downloads

Attached File  CRASHREPORT-002.jpg   69.34KB   0 downloads

The computer would load up.. and stay loaded up for about 30 mins and then crash.. 

After seeing all these errors I went to this website to make sure it was a hard drive issue..

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/5-signs-hard-drive-lifetime/

And so far.. the only thing I can think of it has to be the Seagate is dieing..

But I am taking suggestions of what other people may think it is by these images and error reports.. 

thanks a lot.. 

~ Samuel

Edited by ArmadaLegacy, 09 November 2018 - 09:21 AM.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,379 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:05 PM

Posted 09 November 2018 - 12:27 PM

Any Windows errors...are secondary in importance...to ascertaining whether the hard drive is fully functional.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users