Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Undervolting - Am I doing it wrong?

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 MaxOblivious

MaxOblivious

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:48 PM

Hello all,

I just bought an Asus ROG Strix GL703GS

Specs: I7-8750H, GeForce GTX 1070

As I've noticed these laptops get hot.. It runs everything wonderfully however on certain games it gets to 90+ after a little while. Nvidia say that the Gpu is safe up to 96 but I don't really believe them and I'd like the laptop to last a while as it was such an investment. I'd like it run in the 80s.

I've tried using MSI afterburner to undervolt it using a few of the guides on YouTube such as https://youtu.be/qeQUs4Wtyfs this. However, no matter the fiddling I do with the frequencies it doesn't affect my temps AT ALL. I've even tweaked it too far as to crash it. I've mimicked a few of the examples but to no avail.

Can someone please help? I don't mind sacrificing some performance for a longer life laptop. Can you point me in the direction of a better guide or suggest something else?

Many thanks in advance

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 PM

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:01 AM

Well, you may not like what I am about to say, but here goes anyway.

Laptops originally were conceived on the premise of convenience, not performance. They were intended for word processing, email, spreadsheets and so forth. Stuffing all a desktop's components into a lightweight and small box requires compromising speed and power. With the advent of modern and advanced technology they are far more efficient and powerful, but are still based on that principle. Laps historically have always and will always walk the delicate edge of overheating when stressed, and games put the most stress on any computer of any software in existence. If you stick to small flash games that run on a few K you will be fine. Attempting to play the modern, hi-tech games is going to overheat your unit no matter what you try.

Just one man's opinion.

Edited by ranchhand_, 09 November 2018 - 12:07 PM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users