Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 printing problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 john11139

john11139

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 08 November 2018 - 06:18 AM

I had a desktop with windows 7 32 bit that I used for years.  My printer is a HP 895 CSE.  It has a usb wire which I use to print any thing from Windows 7.  It also has a series parallel port which I have to use to print some old DOS programs.  Recently I got a newer desktop.  It does not have a series parallel port.  Someone said I would have to get a usb-parallel adapter. which I did. It says "printer not ready" when trying to print.  Is there a setting in my printer that I need to change or in my computer.  Next question, If I can't get it to work, could I get a series parallel port from a old computer and open my new one up and plug it in, cut a hold and attach it.? 

Edited by hamluis, 08 November 2018 - 08:22 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to External Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,880 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:30 AM

Adapters have been  used a a "fix" for most units lack of parallel ports and often will not function properly.  The HP printer may have a setting you can change to get the OS to recognize the printer.  A separate driver would be needed to recognize the adapter correctly.

#3 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:30 PM

when you install you need to make sure it points to the correct lpt: port number for the adapter.  also those usb adapter use a generic driver so it should just be plug n play

#4 john11139

john11139
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:54 AM

Posted 09 November 2018 - 05:55 AM

How do I know if it points to the correct port.  ( I am a senior so not too computer smart)

#5 mightywiz

mightywiz

• Members
  • 869 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2018 - 11:54 AM

printer properties then look at "ports" find your printer in the box and it will also tell you what port the printer was installed at.

then you need to find the parallel port in the device manager and see if it was set on the same port.

if you can't do this then you'll need to find a tech to check it for you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users