Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Display Size Too Small

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 billmark

billmark

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

I'm new to laptops, just bought one. I read somewhere that you can run it without the battery installed-just using the power cord. Now my display doesn't fill the screen (not a resolution problem). How do I resize the display?
Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

Move your cursor to the edge of the screen, hold down on left clicker and move border to fit the screen. Do all four sides of the open window display.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 billmark

billmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

I tried moving the cursor to the top and left clicking and dragging. Nothing happens.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:41 AM

When the cursor is on the edge of the window it will change to different looking symbol. A line with an arrowhead on each end. Once this occurs press down on left clicker and hold down the clicker while moving the edge of the window.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 billmark

billmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:31 PM

the cursor doesn't change at the edge.

#6 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:13 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

I'm not familiar with laptop screens, so help me out here. Do you have some buttons on your screen? On my monitor, the display screen size can be adjusted with buttons on the monitor itself.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:59 PM

Are you using Windows XP2 or another operating system such as Mac?

#8 billmark

billmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:00 PM

I'm using XP2. No, there are no controls on the monitor. The only controls I see are for brightness and contrast.

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:17 PM

To clarify, when you move the cursor slowly across the window border, the cursor doesn't change appearance?
This change in appearance needs to happen before holding down the left clicker.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

Also to clarify:

The display you are talking about is for the screen display including the desktop, not a window right? I'm assuming from your description that there is a black border around your screen between the display and the actual physical frame. Am I right?

You mentioned you had some controls for brightness and contrast, is there a menu button for the monitor?

What brand of laptop and monitor do you have?

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#11 billmark

billmark
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 09:59 AM

it's a Dell laptop. yes, there is a black border about 1.5 inches on all sides.

#12 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 37,009 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:38 AM

A Dell what? Can you provide the product name and model number?

Example: Inspiron 3700

There has to be some place where you can change the monitor display settings. Once the location is identified, solving the display problem will be a piece of cake.

Orange Blossom

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users