Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Aolsoftware.exe

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 suzannehye

suzannehye

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:20 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 10:53 AM

I have been trying to remove items from my startup list, and looked to this website for help in determining what can be unchecked. When you look on the "startup list" section, this is what you will find regarding aolsoftware.exe:

"This is an undesirable program.

This file has been identified as a program that is undesirable to have running on your computer. This consists of programs that are misleading, harmful, or undesirable."

BUT...when you take a look at the forum posts regarding aolsoftware.exe, the posts indicate the opposite.

What's a girl to do?
Suzanne

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:39 AM

aolsoftware - aolsoftware.exe - Process Information

Process File: aolsoftware or aolsoftware.exe
Process Name: AOL Service Libraries

Description:
aolsoftware.exe is a process which belongs to the AOL Service.
http://www.liutilities.com/products/wintas...ry/aolsoftware/

I guess it depends on whether or not you consider aol and things aol pestware or not!

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:48 AM

I am certainly not an expert, but the ambiguity may well be a function of both file location and expectation. Much malware takes on the disguise of legitimate file names, but are found in different locations (or paths) on your hard drive. Secondly, finding this file on your computer, when you do NOT use AOL might indicate malware, while finding it when you do use AOL as your ISP might indicate it is legitimate.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users