Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Wireless Network: One Pc Keeps Getting Prompted T

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 szesteve

szesteve

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:06 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:27 AM

Hi everyone,

I have a home wireless network that my 2 laptops share internet access from. I recently set up the networks such that both laptops can access each other's shared drives and also share printers.

However, 2 days ago, one of my laptop's HD died and I had to reinstall everything. Now, the newly installed laptop (laptop A) has no problems browsing laptop B's information.

BUT laptop B cannot access laptop A. Laptop B can see A but it keeps getting prompted for a login and password.

How can I get around this? Thank you!

p/s: Both computer use XP SP2 and the network is protected using a WEP key. And I meant to say One PC...lol

Edited by szesteve, 16 October 2006 - 09:29 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:35 PM

Run the Network Setup wizard on the one that can connect - then choose the option to make a network disk. Carry it over to the one that can't connect and run it on there. This'll fix it most times - if not, c'mon back and we'll work through it with you.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 szesteve

szesteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:08 AM

Run the Network Setup wizard on the one that can connect - then choose the option to make a network disk. Carry it over to the one that can't connect and run it on there. This'll fix it most times - if not, c'mon back and we'll work through it with you.

Hmmm...but won't network setup wizard create a new network again? Or am I just choosing the option to create a network disk?

The thing is the old computer has no problems seeing the newly installed computer. It attempts to connect, but keeps getting prompted to login.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:24 PM

That's a whole different ball of wax! Yes, it'll re-setup your network, but the presumption is that the default settings on the good system will carry over to the other system. This isn't a 100% solution - but it's the easiest way to start.

Are both systems using XPHome? Sometimes you can "trick" the reluctant computer by giving it a "mirrored" account to the other computer. Just establish another account on the reluctant computer that has the exact same user name and password as the one on the good computer. Check to see if you have connectivity this way (both in the new account and in the old account).

You can also "mirror" the account name from the reluctant computer on the good computer (probably has a better chance of working than the first way).

Be aware that the account name must be the same as the one shown in the Documents and Settings folder (when you rename an account, the name in Documents and Settings doesn't change).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 szesteve

szesteve
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 08:42 AM

Hey usasma,

Thanks for your suggestion. I tried the mirroring accounts and I can share now! w00t! Btw, both computers use XP pro.

But the question i have now is how do i get windows to boot straight to my desktop using the admin account? I'm slightly annoyed by having to select which account i want at the welcome screen.

Thank you!

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Go to Start...Run...and type in "control userpasswords2" (without the quotes) and then press Enter.

Select the account that you want to boot with, then uncheck the box that says "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer". Then click on OK. It may prompt you for the password for the admin account at this time. Once that's done it should boot straight to your desktop on the next reboot.

NOTE: I'm not real sure why the "mirroring" trick works (except that it has to do with maintaining the correct credentials on the correct machine) but it saved my bacon at the wife's office when I couldn't get connectivity any other way.

Edited by usasma, 18 October 2006 - 10:24 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users