Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anybody good with Compiz to help a newb?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Depthcharge

Depthcharge

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:33 PM

Posted 06 November 2018 - 03:03 AM

I've got a clean install of Mint 19 XFCE, but the only Compiz effect that works is Wobbly Windows, so I know it's not a hardware issue. A little help, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:53 PM

I don't use this for much but Wobbly Windows, but I will follow along and try to help as I have Kubuntu Installed and would like to try some of this stuff out.  Maybe this tutorial will help you out a little.  

Linux Mint 19 Compiz Desktop Cube (how to activate)

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#3 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 07:53 PM

Thanks for the reply, pcpunk. Sadly in that tutorial he says tha the XFCE settings are a little different, but doesn't say how and it's not intuitive from those menus. Anybody else? What happened to this place?

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:12 PM

Explain what you want to do and maybe someone will jump in.  It can't be that much different from other distro's and some here use Compiz on other distros.

Do you have a Timeshift backup yet, because you can and almost certainly do damage with Compiz!!!

I don't have time to look at these videos so take a look and see if they help.  If you graphics card is not good enough for this you will crash your system.  Or, if you make incompatible changes it could result in a crash.

How to install Compiz with GTK decorator on XFCE

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 08:24 PM

Thanks again, pcpunk. I'm trying to enable water effects and maybe some others, I don't know because nothing works.

#6 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 09:37 PM

So I installed/reinstalled everything using the Synaptic Package Manager as shown in your link, pcpunk, thanks. The Cube is working now along with Wobbly Windows, but I still can't get Water Effects to work. What's the trick?

#7 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 10:19 PM

$ compiz water
compiz (core) - Info: Loading plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Starting plugin: core
compiz (core) - Error: Screen 0 on display ":0.0" already has a window manager; try using the --replace option to replace the current window manager.
compiz (core) - Info: Stopping plugin: core
compiz (core) - Info: Unloading plugin: core

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 11:01 PM

Thanks again, pcpunk. I'm trying to enable water effects and maybe some others, I don't know because nothing works.

Honestly I don't know.  It's been a long time since I've done much in Compiz, and normally only use Wobbly Windows, Fall Apart, Magic Jeany and only played around with other stuff.

6. Miscellaneous

-These are totally optional, but look really nice. I would enable Reflection and Window Decoration. which will add shadows and other eye candy for you. There are options to play with in both.

-Paint fire on the screen, Water Effect, and Window Previews are some other fun plugins to enable. The first lets you draw on the screen while the second has raindrops falling and an optional windshield wiper. The last one is pretty useful. You can change the size of the preview if you wish.

Maybe this will help, it is old but has some fun stuff in it.

How to: Use Compiz

Compiz Wiki

Compiz

Edited by pcpunk, 06 November 2018 - 11:15 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,682 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:33 AM

Posted 07 November 2018 - 02:55 AM

I gave up on Compiz too unstable,

#10 Mike_Walsh

Mike_Walsh

Bleepin' 'Puppy' nut..!!

• Members
  • 1,435 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 07 November 2018 - 08:39 AM

</.....Anybody else? What happened to this place?

We're in something of a quiet spell at the moment. On top of which, many of the older regulars have either fallen by the wayside (Cat?), or don't look in so often.....

I tend to concentrate on Puppy-related stuff, 'cos that's what I run exclusively. But I will echo Nick on this one; Compiz, when it's running well, is great; it's a real 'jaw-dropper' for those die-hard Windows fanbois who think Linux is all command-line stuff. But when it goes wrong, it's just about the biggest PITA there is to put right again.

And as for 'unstable'; yah, I agree with Nick. I played around with it years ago, first in Ubuntu, then ZorinOS. But I, too, gave up on it; it just wouldn't 'keep' running right.

Mike. :wink:

Distros:- Multiple 'Puppies'..... and Anti-X 16.1

My Puppy BLOG ~~~  My Puppy PACKAGES

Compaq Presario SR1916UK; Athlon64 X2 3800+, 3 GB RAM, WD 500GB Caviar 'Blue', 32GB Kingspec PATA SSD, 3 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, ATI Radeon Xpress 200 graphics, Dell 15.1" pNp monitor (1024 x 768), TP-Link PCI-e USB 3.0 card, Logitech c920 HD Pro webcam, self-powered 7-port USB 2.0 hub

Dell Inspiron 1100; 2.6 GHz 400FSB P4, 1.5 GB RAM, 64GB KingSpec IDE SSD, Intel 'Extreme' graphics, 1 TB Seagate 'Expansion' external HDD, M$ HD-3000 'Lifecam'.

KXhaWqy.gifFQ8nrJ3.gif

#11 Depthcharge

Depthcharge
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 248 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:20 AM

Thanks for the replies, guys. Is there an OS that Compiz is actually stable on?

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:40 AM

No

I will say that it may work the way you want it after lots of experimentation and if you have a sufficient Graphics Card.  From what I understand, and have tried, some modules are not compatible with others.  So IMO, experiment and stick with settings that work for you.  I will fire up my linux machine soon and try the Water Effects for you, and the Cube.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#13 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 8,026 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 08 November 2018 - 04:41 PM

I suggest KDE for desktop effects. These are the available effects in my Debian 8 Stable 'Jessie' KDE:

kde4-1.png

kde4-2.png

kde4-3.png

kde4-4.png

#14 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:33 PM

@Al1000, are you saying that Compiz simply integrates better in KDE?  I know Nick has used it over the years and he was running on Kubuntu and Ubuntu I believe at some point.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#15 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,227 posts
  •  

Posted 09 November 2018 - 01:28 AM

Okay, having fun with Compiz and the Cube.  It's really sad there is no good documentation on all this.  I do not see "Water Effects" in Kubuntu, maybe I need to install it?

I will need to hit those forums because no one here seems to use it?

Edited by pcpunk, 09 November 2018 - 01:31 AM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users