Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

multi probs

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 05 November 2018 - 08:12 AM

Hi, all! I've used BC in the past, and the folks have been great! I have a unit running Windows 8 (I think) and it's A: giving me some problems, and B: I need to know some 'housekeeping things.

First my Google seems to have picked up a rider. When I search with Google, it opens the results page and then goes to an "Alphavids" page. I went to settings and deleted that from the homepage option but it comes back once in a while.

2, when I open my 'Task Manager' I get a small window labeled as such, but it is not complete, and only has one 'tab', which will show that Windows or Google is operating, but the tabs with all the background processes are not visible.  I use Youtube Downloader a lot and always am told 'YTD will continue running in the background'. I can then go to TM, and shut it down, and then reopen it to enable me to DL a new vid (this is the latest YTD version, and it seems their idea of 'updating' is taking away features one by one)

What is keeping me from getting my 'true' TM?

3. Sometimes, when I go to shut down at night, it will simply become unresponsive. No shut down, and I just have to wait it out.  I run Avast AV. Is there something else I should look for? 

4. How can I get to a screen ( in 'System' or wherever) that will tell me what version of Windows I'm running? When I go to the 'Control Panel') , none of the options will state this. I remember when I bought this used unit, being told that it had Windows 8 on it, and thinking that I'd prefer something else, but with the changes to the Control Panel that Bill Gates decided on, it's harder to find out what it really is.

BTW, if I could speak to a mod about my little girl's computer which I set up an account for, posted a thread, got a reply, (basically being told to try 'Hibernate' and to post my HJT notepad summary in this thread, which I refused to do)  but now can't find it 'cause it's been more than a few days since then. I live in a different city than her, so it's hard to keep up. I have a very unusual situation, and would greatly appreciate some help.

Thanks again

Edited by PGHinBKK, 05 November 2018 - 08:18 AM.

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ciro-mota

ciro-mota

• Members
  • 20 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:58 PM

Posted 05 November 2018 - 02:50 PM

Your PC has signs that it is infected. I suggest you follow the instructions in the link topic below and open a new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Help area:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

I'm sure they will solve the problems after cleaning the PC.

#3 PGHinBKK

PGHinBKK
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 342 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:58 AM

Posted 09 November 2018 - 03:29 AM

Right. I ran my avast, so I didn't think it was a virus. But I'll try that page. 

Life is strange......and then there's Thailand....

#4 JSntgRvr

JSntgRvr

Master Surgeon General

• Malware Response Team
  • 11,817 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:58 PM

Posted Yesterday, 11:51 AM

Remember, you must post the reports requested in the Malware Removal Help area. In regard to the Task Manager, double click on one of its border.

No request for help throughout private messaging will be attended.

If I have helped you, consider making a donation to help me continue the fight against Malware!
btn_donate_SM.gif

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,746 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted Yesterday, 05:31 PM

Antivirus programs, and notably Avast, are no guarantee that you won't get infected. If you notice, BC's virus-infection help forum is so loaded with requests it takes days for them to respond sometimes.

In fact, there are many geeks who do not even run antivirus programs they are so useless, myself being one. And..I have never been infected. When I was working, I removed so many infections off of office computers I lost count, and we were running Norton on all of them.

I am not recommending you not have an AV program, just bear in mind it is not a Star Trek shield.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users