Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to change my password on this site?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 zzzz

zzzz

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:37 PM

Posted 03 November 2018 - 01:56 PM

That's it. Advice please - thanks.

Edited by hamluis, 03 November 2018 - 02:09 PM.
Moved from Ransomware to Announcements/Comments - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,247 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 AM

Posted 03 November 2018 - 02:24 PM

Click on the userid dropdown for yourself at the upper right of any BC forum webpage you're viewing, select My Settings.

In the dialog that comes up look down the left side and you'll see an Email & Password navigation, click it.  The rest should be self explanatory.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#3 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 05 November 2018 - 06:39 AM

Thanks for that - I did it just before getting your post! So signing in to view it , it came up with the old PW listed. Clicking on that it came up with the new sign in and my new PW worked OK.

I changed the PW for the reason I have just posted what a ransomeware can do with just my email address and the old PW for this site.

#4 Demonslay335

Demonslay335

Ransomware Hunter

• Security Colleague
  • 3,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 AM

Posted 05 November 2018 - 10:04 AM

User is referring to a separate topic they opened: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/686129/what-can-a-ransomware-do-with-this-info/#entry4604594

I will assume you have properly reset your email account password and re-gained full control of it? Be sure not to re-use passwords, and that it is a strong password.

Having access to your email account does not give access to your computer, unless it is tied to a legit remote control program that has unattended access such as TeamViewer or something. Ransomware doesn't typically do anything further with email credentials other than perhaps send them to a server somewhere if it was bundled with another malware that harvests credentials or something.

logo-25.pngID Ransomware - Identify What Ransomware Encrypted Your Files [Support Topic]

ransomnotecleaner-25.png RansomNoteCleaner - Remove Ransom Notes Left Behind [Support Topic]

cryptosearch-25.pngCryptoSearch - Find Files Encrypted by Ransomware [Support Topic]

If I have helped you and you wish to support my ransomware fighting, you may support me here.

#5 zzzz

zzzz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 661 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2018 - 06:09 AM

Thanks for your response. Yes I have changed the PW to something much better from LastPass. 

Your further comment reassures me that I am not in trouble and the experience has taught me to be more careful with passwords, hence LastPass.

In fact the email address that was used was a old one I had for sundry use and really unnecessary so now I have deleted that one for import in my Google settings so won't be using it again.

Thanks again and much appreciated.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users