Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 will not boot with two hard drives

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:33 AM

I replaced my slave 10 GB hard drive with a 40 GB hard drive and no matter how I set the jumper settings, Windows 98 always gets stuck at

"Searching for Boot Record from IDE-0...OK"

The "OK" tells me that the computer sees the boot record, but it does not do anything beyond that message. There is just a blinking cursor.

The old 10 GB hard drive had no jumper settings on it whatsoever. I tried that with the 40GB hard drive but it gets stuck at that message. I tried setting the jumper on "slave" but it still gets stuck at that message. Finally, I tried setting the jumper on "cable select" and yet again, it is stuck at that searching for boot record message. I am at a loss. I cannot set it to master because that hard drive does not have the OS installed on it.

Windows 98 booted flawlessly with that 10 GB hard drive as a slave but refuses to boot with this 40 GB hard drive as a slave. The hard drive with the OS installed is also 40 GB.

Can anybody help me out here?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 02 November 2018 - 10:59 AM

What brand are the respective drives? Some brands have to use Master with Slave & Slave settings, not just Master & Slave. Some brands just don't like to work together...

Cable select will only work if you have a "cable select" cable (and then which is Master and which is Slave depends on whether you are using a 40 wire or 80 wire cable).

Edited by Platypus, 02 November 2018 - 11:02 AM.

Top 5 things that never get done:

#3 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:03 AM

The master drive (The one with the OS) is a Maxtor and the slave I am trying to use is a Western Digital.

#4 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:27 AM

What was the original slave that worked OK with no jumpers set?

#5 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:29 AM

Hi,

Is the BIOS detecting both HDD's correctly in terms of size and name?

What is the contents of the new slave drive?

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#6 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:37 AM

I enabled it in the bios and then I was able to get into Windows. After that, I opened CMD and typed FDisk and created a logical DOS partition but now I am having another problem.

The drive shows up as drive D, but every time I double click it, it always says "D: is not accessible. A device attached to the system is not functioning"

When I view the properties for the drive, it says the capacity is 0 bytes and has 0 bytes free.

Now what is the problem?

#7 SleepyDude

SleepyDude

• Malware Response Team
  • 3,128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:13 PM

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:42 AM

If I remember correctly after FDISK you need to format the drive.

• Please do not PM me asking for support. Post on the forums instead it will increases the chances of getting help for your problem by one of us.
• Posts in the Malware section that are not replied to within 4 days will be closed. PM me or a moderator to reactivate.
• Please post your final results, good or bad. We like to know! Thank you!

Proud graduate of GeekU and member of UNITE
___
Rui

#8 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:46 AM

You do indeed need to format D:

#9 Sylveon Fetish

Sylveon Fetish
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 425 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 11:53 AM

I formatted the drive and I could get into it, but now after restarting the computer, the drive is no longer there in My Computer! The CD rom drive has also reclaimed the D drive.

Edit: When I go into the system. The drive is still listed there except now with no drive letter and no partition. It is as if the partition deleted itself after restarting my computer. Also going into fdisk, it is as if I never did anything at all. There is no partition, no drive letter, no nothing.

Also when I try to create a new partition I get an error message that says "Extended DOS partition already exists" But nothing could be further from the truth

Now what?

Edited by Sylveon Fetish, 02 November 2018 - 11:58 AM.

#10 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 12:13 PM

Which was the D: drive previously?

I assume the CD ROM is an ATAPI drive on the secondary IDE port?

#11 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 03 November 2018 - 08:27 PM

I'm embarrassed to admit that I have forgotten tons about Win98 it's been so many years...but...Win98 is DOS based and isn't there some kind of 2gig ceiling that DOS can only see, nothing larger? I can't remember exactly....

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#12 Platypus

Platypus

• Global Moderator
  • 15,478 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 11:00 PM

The FAT16 file system has a volume capacity limit of 2GB, using standard cluster allocation. The initial release of Windows 95 still used FAT16, so had this limitation until Service Release 2 introduced FAT32. Windows 98 started out utilizing FAT32.

#13 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,752 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 PM

Posted 04 November 2018 - 08:13 AM

Yeah, that's it!  Since the OP's HDD is 40gig, is he using FAT32, or accidentally using FAT16 when he formatted?  Another suggestion: try running Seatools for DOS from the optical drive to test that drive for integrity.

Edited by ranchhand_, 04 November 2018 - 08:18 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users