Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Temp File Cleaner Help

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:39 PM

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:29 PM

Hey guys, still trying to Understand TFC a little better because I don't see any good directions online.  Perhaps it is just one of those programs for folks whom understand these things a little better than I.  As I understand it, this little tool will do more than I could do manually and faster.  So I really want to learn how to use it better!

My first concern is there are 25.787GB of data that can be cleaned in "Windows (System)" seems like a lot, but anythings possible I guess.  I will leave a pic at the bottom before I make a move because of course I don't want to damage my nice laptop.

Second, how do I run it LOL.  

For instance; If I have a USB in the pc at the time of running it should I Un-check the USB in the Drive Section as to not create any issues with it?  Is this important, or will it omit a USB by Default?

Thirdly, I Unchecked a few things that I knew weren't installed, like "Mozilla Thunderbird" why is Mozilla Thunderbird Checked when there is no Mozilla Thunderbird Installed?  Do you guys go through it and Un-Check all that is not installed before you run it?

Thanks, pc

deUxAix.png

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:39 PM

Posted 01 November 2018 - 04:25 PM

Where did you actually get this TFC from?

The original TFC you can get from here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

Its interface looks different than yours.

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,086 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 05:20 PM

Yeah, I was kinda scratching my head. This is what mine looks like, before and after.

J5lflbW.png

QX2ZCVk.png

Edited by sikntired, 01 November 2018 - 05:25 PM.

#4 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 10:42 PM

Where did you actually get this TFC from?

The original TFC you can get from here: https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/tfc/

Its interface looks different than yours.

OMG, can't believe I've been running the wrong program for such a long time!  I thought I got this from an "Oldtimer" website, but now I see I got it from https://addpcs.com/

I'll download from here and install on one of my laptops to check the difference.  Hope to hear from others running this.

Thanks for correcting me on this guys.

Edited by pcpunk, 01 November 2018 - 10:49 PM.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#5 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2018 - 05:07 PM

You're very welcome :)

My Website

My help doesn't cost a penny, but if you'd like to consider a donation, click DONATE

#6 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 12:16 PM

I wonder if TFC by Oldtimer is better for Temp File Cleaning than CCleaner?

It seems to me when I ran CCleaner I lose my logins, can someone verify, because I don't want to try it, haha, as like many here have many login credentials to work with.

From what I remember TFC will stop processes to get rid of all Temp files?  EDIT, Correct, just read the article on Geeks To Go!

I've also seen folks running TFC on Windows 8 and 10, through the documentation at "Geeks To Go" says not to?

Also read it is not being maintained, is this true?  Not that it needs to be, but if this is true, it may explain why it is not perfectly suited for Windows 8-10?

Thanks, hope all are enjoying their Saturday!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#7 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,289 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 03:09 PM

Most logins, if we're talking website logins, are held in browser cookies.  CCleaner does not delete these if you have either "Intelligent Cookie Scanning" turned on even with Cookie Cleaning selected (which you select at a browser-by-browser level) or if you don't have cookie cleaning selected at all.  The "Intelligent Cookie Scanning" feature in CCleaner was a big deal when it first came out since so many people choose to remain logged in to websites and don't want to have to relogin after a cleaning.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Presenting the willfully ignorant with facts is the very definition of casting pearls before swine.

~ Brian Vogel

#8 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 04:01 PM

I will follow your advice Brian and test it out.  I will also read up some more on CCleaner as there is lot's of good info on their site.  I've always like Piriform also! for all their stuff. 

What is your opinion of TFC?  If I remember correctly you are a fan of CCleaner so perhaps that is your Go To.  So many Tools, but I just want to use one.

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#9 Broni

Broni

The Coolest BC Computer

• BC Advisor
  • 42,754 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 06:30 PM

TFC by Oldtimer is a very simple and safe program. No need to play with any settings. Just run it and you're done with all garbage.

My Website

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2018 - 08:48 PM

I will install it!

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#11 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2018 - 05:28 PM

Is TFC by Oldtimer any better than using CCleaner?  Does it do anything different in it's Temp File Cleaning or any other?

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

#12 pcpunk

pcpunk
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,235 posts
  •  

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:18 PM

Most logins, if we're talking website logins, are held in browser cookies.  CCleaner does not delete these if you have either "Intelligent Cookie Scanning" turned on even with Cookie Cleaning selected (which you select at a browser-by-browser level) or if you don't have cookie cleaning selected at all.  The "Intelligent Cookie Scanning" feature in CCleaner was a big deal when it first came out since so many people choose to remain logged in to websites and don't want to have to relogin after a cleaning.

Apparently this is set by Default, and it removes me from being "remembered" from logins.  Of course I have all my passwords stored in Chrome, so just have to relogin.  I did Select some Cookies I wanted to keep but that did not work 100% keeping me remembered, which is okay as long as my Chrome passwords get me back in.  I don't know why that happened but am working with it so see.  

For instance, I think I had "bleepingcomputer.com" Selected to keep cookies for but it did not work.  Now I have "www.bleepingcomputer.com" Selected to Keep Cookies and will see if that works next time.  I wonder if it has to be the Login Page specifically for this to work?  Will need to test that also and will chronicle that here I think.

Thanks

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users