Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pc Keeps Restarting

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 Cozy

Cozy

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:11 AM

New to this site, but not new to computers. Anyways heres my issue short and sweet.

Problem: PC restarts 2 out of 3 times over and over again when I first turn it on. It also likes to restart at random moments when I am already on. It's mainly when I first try to start it.

Windows XP Pro, 250 ddr, i'm positve that it's not viri, or spyware causing the problem. Haven't added or installed any new hardware or software. Power supply, motherboard, ram, cpu, etc. all good.

First had this one hdd (we'll call it A ), with a second back up hdd ( B ). With a completely different set up (different motherboard, ram, etc.) than the one I am currently using. I was having issues with it restarting so I thought it was my RAM (I was having issues with it all not showing up). So I had another system and knew everything worked on it, so I swapped. Took out that hdd ( C ), and put in hdd A, and hdd B. Well I still had the same restarting problem, so I figured it was hdd A so I swapped it with hdd C. So now I have hdd C and hdd B plugged in and am still having the same restarting issues. So here comes the questions.

1.) Could my second hdd be causing the restarting problem? If so I could I check?
2.) Would I be able to put in two OS hdds? One as a master and the other as the slave? Or would that cause a confliction?

Hmmmm, I think that about sums it up. Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:15 AM

Since you have the restarting problems in two completely different setups I doubt it is the hard drive/s causing this.

If you have not already done so, disable automatic restart so you can get an error message screen. Once you get one, post what it says here (yes, all of it!)

When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.
Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
1. Right-click My Computer.
2. Select Properties.
3. In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4 In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5 A new window will open:

6. Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
7. Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.
Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

#3 Cozy

Cozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:25 AM

Thanks for responding.
Ok I have it set so I get a blue screen instead of it restarting. I just turned the comp off and back on, and just my luck I didn't get a blue screen and everything is working fine. :thumbsup: I'm sure it will pop up sooner or later, so I will post the error code as soon as it decides it wants to give it to me.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:45 AM

In the meantime, open your device manager and look for yellow or red warning icons in any of the categories.

If any are there, update the drivers for those so indicated.

#5 kev25v6

kev25v6

• Members
  • 227 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:56 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:01 PM

My computer kept restarting itself or not restarting at all. Sometimes it would just beep three times at me. Turned out the powerpack and the motherboard were kaputt. The powerpack was overheating and causing the computer to shut down at a certain temp. My ram also did not always show up and one of the sticks was getting warm, now that has packed in completly.

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:49 PM

Thid can be hardware or software related. FYI - BSOD's are hardware events, but they can also be caused by the drivers for the hardware. Finally, a poorly written/corrupt program can try to access the drivers in an improper way - causing the driver to generate a BSOD.

BSOD's can be found (generally) in 3 places:
1) The actual BSOD screen
2) The Event Log (as long as Event Logging is enabled)
3) In memory dump files (files ending in .dmp and .mdmp). There's a special procedure for analyzing them here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=35246 )

First, check the Event Viewer for error messages around the time of the restarts (How-To here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/40108/how-to-use-event-viewer/ )

Hardware troubleshooting is a bit of a PITA. It involves:
1) Testing the SMART status of your hard drives (with a free program like SpeedFan: http://www.almico.com/speedfan.php )
2) Testing your memory (with a free program like MemTest86: http://www.memtest86.com/ )
3) Stripping the system down to bare minimum. Then see if it gives the error - if not, the bad hardware is in the stuff that you took out. If it does error - then it's in the stuff that you left in.

Here's what I strip down to:
Case
PSU
mobo
vidcard
CPU/Cooler/fan
RAM (presumed good from MemTest)
keyboard
floppy drive

Use the above setup to check with a DOS boot disk. Then add the hard drive into the mix and try to boot into Windows. Once it's error free - add you mouse in for convenience.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#7 Cozy

Cozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:00 PM

Enthusiast-
Ok I finally got a blue screen for hdd C.

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. The problem seems to be caused by the following file: AVG7Core.sys

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

Technical Information
Stop:0x00000050 (0xEB417875, 0x00000000, 0xF3386B4E, 0x00000002)

AVG7Core.sys - Address F3386B4E base at F33F000 Date Stamp 45131665

I find it kind of strange being that AVG is up to date, and I had just installed it when I put in this hdd. Right now I have the first hdd ( A ) that I was having issues with plugged in right now. So far I haven't had any problems with it and it started right up. I also changed the setting for it to give me a bsod instead of automatically restarting. Anyways a very good friend of mine told me to get Nod32 instead. So I guess I am going to un-install AVG and try out Nod32 unless anyone disagrees? :thumbsup:

P.S.
I had googled avg7core.sys and saw on grisofts website that some other people were having similer issues. Not the exact as mine, as theres was during the installation process.

kev25v6-
Were you making a suggestion as to what's wrong with my computer? Or were you looking for help? Just confused, and wondering. :flowers:

usasma-
Are you answering kev25v6 or just me or both of us? Just incase the Event log was towards me I have already looked through that and only was finding when like yahoo crashed on me or firefox.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

I'm making suggestions for you. I read Kev's post as being what he'd experienced.

Here's a link to the STOP error (what a BSOD is): http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

It looks like a memory error - but since it states that it was AVG, the caveats on the above link state that antivirus can do it also. I'd suggest uninstalling AVG - then reinstalling it. If it continues, try another free antivirus (I hear that Avast is good also).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 Cozy

Cozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:46 PM

I'm making suggestions for you. I read Kev's post as being what he'd experienced.

Here's a link to the STOP error (what a BSOD is): http://aumha.org/win5/kbestop.php#0x50

It looks like a memory error - but since it states that it was AVG, the caveats on the above link state that antivirus can do it also. I'd suggest uninstalling AVG - then reinstalling it. If it continues, try another free antivirus (I hear that Avast is good also).

Ok well I uninstalled AVG and installed another on hdd A and am still having the same problems. So now i'm on hdd C, and installed "Speedfan" a few minutes ago, everything is alright. For some strange odd reason, hdd C is deciding to act right and for the past couple of days it hasn't restarted on me once. So who knows whats its issue is. Just hopefully it wont start acting up again :thumbsup:

#10 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:34 PM

What does Speedfan tell you your processor temp is?

#11 Cozy

Cozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:54 PM

Temp1: -48c
Temp2: Between 42-44C (I'm not sure but I think this is the one your asking about, since it keep changing)
HD0: 38c
Temp1: 38c

Fan1: 3125-3184 RPM

Edited by Cozy, 24 October 2006 - 09:01 PM.

#12 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:59 AM

The temps are ok.

Have you had another bsod episode?

#13 Cozy

Cozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2006 - 07:20 PM

Not yet, i'll let you know when I do. Thanks for helping me. :thumbsup:

#14 Cozy

Cozy
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 118 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:07 PM

Ok today I had a little bit of an episode. When I first turned the comp on, right before it got to the "loading xp" part it restarted. Didn't get a blue screen, (unless it was super duper quick that I didn't see it), and it only restarted once, unlike before where it would take 3-4 restarts (if not more) till it fully loaded properly. Just thought I would let you know in case you had any idea on why it did that.

#15 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

If it restarted before Windows booted you don't get a bsod.
And that also eliminates any software problems, because nothing else starts before Windows does except the bios.

Did you get any beeps when this occurred?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users