Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Drive Wipe Problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 AM

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:34 AM

I am not certain if this belongs on this forum, if it doesn't, please feel free to move it to the proper location.

A friend brought me a a 240 GB generic SSD with a factory installed OS - Windows 10. I normally use LSoft @Active Killdisk for wiping drives, however, I cannot get my machine to boot with the Killdisk bootable DOS CD. I have a bootable Windows version of Killdisk, but this will not wipe the drive. It keeps returning write errors.

I thought that perhaps the DOS boot disk was bad, so I created another one. This one works fine - on my laptop. On the desktop, the machine will not boot to the DOS disk.

I have tried using Parted Magic to just remove the partitions, however, this does not work - it fails each time. This is the first time I've ever had a problem wiping a drive.

So, there are two questions:

Is there another way that I can wipe and reformat this drive?

Can anyone think of an explanation for why the desktop will not boot to the DOS disk? It's only on this machine that it will not. This machine, I should state, is my backup computer. My primary machine recently had a motherboard failure, so I'm back to using my other machine. It runs Windows 7 Ultimate x64. It will boot from other bootable CDs, but not from the @Active Killdisk DOS boot disk.

I'm stumped. Any help will be appreciated.

Edited by hamluis, 31 October 2018 - 07:46 AM.
Moved from Win 7 to Disk Mgmt - Hamluis.

~   Notorious Thread Killer   ~

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,383 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:46 AM

Let's focus...is the SSD functional?  Is there any evidence that the drive is working properly?

Your questions about Killdisk are ancillary, IMO.

Louis

#3 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 07:50 AM

I believe that it is functional, though I am not certain. It was brought to me by a friend who said that he had tried to format it himself, but was unable to. Windows Disk Management says that the partitions are all healthy.

Case: CoolerMaster Storm Trooper Full ATX | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-Z170X | CPU: Intel Core i7-6700K 8M Skylake Quad-Core | GPU: MSI Radeon R9 390X 8GB 512-Bit | PSU: EVGA 80 PLUS GOLD 850 W | RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR4 SDRAM [4x8GB] Audio: Integrated Creative Sound Core 3D 5.1 | Internal Storage: Samsung 2 TB HDD | Seagate 1 TB HDD | Samsung 500GB SSD [x2] | Mushkin 500GB SSD | External Storage: Seagate 2TB | Optical Drive: Lite-On iHAS324 Dual Layer

Display 1: AOC I2757Fh 27" | Display 2 & 3: LG 24MP57HQ-P 24" | Operating Systems: OS 1: Windows 10 Professional | OS 2: Linux Mint Cinnamon | OS 3: Windows 7 Ultimate x-64 | Antivirus: MS Security Essentials | Firewall: Windows Firewall

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 31 October 2018 - 09:25 AM

This is assuming the SSD is connected to your computer. 

Open an elevated command prompt. Windows key + X > command prompt as admin. It can be called Powershell as admin

diskpart

list disk

select disk X      Where X is the number associated with the SSD.

clean                  This will delete the partition table. Make sure you have the correct number in the previous step. 

clean all             This command will zero wipe. Substitute clean all for clean if you wish to zero wipe the drive.

The process is finished when you see the diskpart command again. Personally, I would use the clean command to wipe the partition table and not clean all. 

#5 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:36 AM

The drive is connected to the machine via a docking station built into the case. Will this work, or should I actually connect it directly to the motherboard's SATA connectors?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:37 AM

It will still work even if connected to the docking station unless something else is going on. 

#7 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 11:49 AM

I will try this and let you know.

#8 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:21 PM

The clean command said that it had successfully wiped the primary partition, however, the data is still intact. It also left the other three partitions intact, so I tried the clean all command. Diskpart returned the error message "Access denied."

I ran the Killdisk bootable Windows CD again. I tried first to do a simple wipe operation. All partitions and data were still intact.

I attempted to kill the disk, and immediately encountered write errors. This should have wiped all partitions and data from the drive.

I'm at a wall.

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:33 PM

When you used Parted Magic did you try deleting the partitions with Gparted? The new version of Parted Magic has  a tool to use the internal Secure Erase command to clear the drive. The older free version does to but I don't know if it works for SSDs. 

Type the following at a command prompt

diskpart

list disk

select disk X    your SSD

detail disk

Does it say if the disk is Read Only?  Even if Read Only Gparted should have taken care of the disk.

Last option. Download Partition Wizard Free. Run the Wipe command on the SSD.

https://www.partitionwizard.com/help/wipe-disk.html

Edit: The SSD companies have a tool to SecureErase the drive. 

https://kb.iu.edu/d/aiut

Edited by JohnC_21, 31 October 2018 - 03:36 PM.

#10 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 03:58 PM

Read only: No

Boot Disk: No

I'm downloading now.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

I edited my post to show that the drive manufacturers offer SecureErase programs. You my have better luck with one of those if the SSD is one in the list.

#12 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:16 PM

Unfortunately, the SSD is not on the list. Partition Wizard had the same results, all partitions and data intact. I think I have to say this one got me.

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2018 - 04:33 PM

That is strange. In Parted Magic is an icon called Erase Disk. This will let you dd the drive with zeros. If Partition Wizard failed I'm not sure using dd would work but it's the last idea I have other than using the SecureErase option. Did you do use the SecureErase option in Parted Magic? It will ask you to input a password. I could not get it to work with the default NULL. I had to input 123 in order for SecureErase continue.

Internal_secure_erase.png​

#14 MelissaPleases

MelissaPleases
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 563 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:06 PM

I had not attempted secure erase. I just tried it, and this is the message returned. For some reason, I cannot export the screenshot I took, so I'm quoting it:

Unfortunately, the selected drive's Security state is set to frozen (a safe-guard action performed by the computer's BIOS at boot). The SECURITY-ERASE command cannot be performed.

*** Warning: Proceed at your own risk! ***

To potentially reset the drive's Security frozen state, try the following Terminal-based, hdparm command
hdparm-Y/dev/sdd

Disconnect and then reconnect the power cable to the target drive Model SATAFIRM S11  SerialNo: 44A50774140800081646 and reattempt this Secure Erase script after ~30 seconds.

When I attempted the terminal command, this is the message returned:

-bash: hdparm-Y: command not found

I'm assuming that I'm doing this incorrectly, so hopefully you'll know the next option.

Edit: John_C, I've been absent for quite some time - it's good to talk to you again! 

Edited by MelissaPleases, 01 November 2018 - 12:22 PM.

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,620 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2018 - 12:31 PM

Don't use bash. Use Terminal and then. sudo may not be needed in Parted Magic.

sudo hdparm-Y/dev/sdx   it may not be sdd for you. You can find out in terminal using fdisk -l. 

Another way to unfreeze the drive is to physically disconnect and connect the SATA drive. I'm not sure if this would work using a USB docking station though.

Sometimes suspending the computer and unsuspending works to. The following links show how to do a SecureErase using only Terminal.

https://superuser.com/questions/1161531/how-to-un-freeze-drive-in-linux

https://www.stevenmaude.co.uk/posts/securely-erasing-frozen-hard-disks-with-hdparm

Edit: Yeah, nice talking to you again. It's been awhile. Aren't computers fun?

Edited by JohnC_21, 01 November 2018 - 12:32 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users