Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Service Control Manager

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 sbelle55

sbelle55

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:06 AM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:49 PM

I'm getting this warning first and then the error and then my computer reboots:

Warning: The driver disabled the write cache on device \Device\Harddisk1\DR3

Error: The DeviceScanner service failed to start due to the following error:
The system cannot find the file specified.

I'm running Windows XP with 2gb memory and I have just installed a new video card Radeon X 1300.

Can anyone please tell me what this is and what I need to do to fix it.
If you need more information about my computer let me know and I will post anything that I can find on it.

I have been dealing with this for a couple of days now and I'm at wits end. I have no idea what its telling me or what to do at this point.

Help

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:21 AM

Am I correct that you did not have a problem before you installed the new video card?
Where did you get the driver for the video card and how did you install it?

If your computer is spontaneously rebooting and therefore not allowing you to be abloe to see exactly what is on the bsod (error message) please do the following:

When a critical error occurrs in Windows XP, the system will reboot automatically by default. After the reboot, Windows will then usually show a dialogue with the explanation that the system has recovered from a critical error and will offer to submit this error to Microsoft.
Most of the time these spontaneous reboots are rather unique and are not an immediate cause for alert. However, if the situation is recurring, there is probably something wrong in the system configuration. To get a good idea of what is wrong, it is best to disable the option to automatically restart the system after a failure, but to let it show the error message instead.

To do so, please perform the following steps:
1. Right-click My Computer.
2. Select Properties.
3. In the System Properties, select the tab Advanced.
4 In the box called Startup and Recovery, click Settings.
5 A new window will open:

6. Uncheck the box "Automatically restart" in the group System Failure
7. Confirm the changes in both Windows by clicking OK.
Whenever a critical system failure occurs now, you will see a blue screen with a cryptic description of the error. However, the content of this message might help in finding the appropriate solution to the problem.

Note: Most of the critical errors are due to faulty driver installations or incorrect BIOS settings. Especially in case of misbehaving drivers, the blue screens often list the filename of the driver that caused the crash.

After you get a blue screen please post all the information that is on that screen here as it will help us diagnose what is wrong and what the fix may be.

Also - look in your device manager and see if there are any yellow or red warning icons in any of the categories. If there are, update the drivers.

#3 sbelle55

sbelle55
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:31 PM

You are correct, I wasnt having a problem until I installed the video card.
Which I have completely uninstall everything once useing the instructions on
the ATI website.

I was just checking the Device Manager and under Application I have several repeated errors. I'll post those here.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Initialization/Termination
Event ID: 32026
Date: 10/15/2006
Time: 11:11:18 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxx
Description:
Fax Service failed to initialize any assigned fax devices (virtual or TAPI). No faxes can be sent or received until a fax device is installed.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Event Type: Warning
Event Source: Microsoft Fax
Event Category: Initialization/Termination
Event ID: 32068
Date: 10/16/2006
Time: 1:42:29 PM
User: N/A
Computer: xxxxxxxxx
Description:
The outgoing routing rule is not valid because it cannot find a valid device. The outgoing faxes that use this rule will not be routed. Verify that the targeted device or devices (if routed to a group of devices) is connected and installed correctly, and turned on. If routed to a group, verify that the group is configured correctly. Country/region code: '*' Area code: '*'

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Is this connected to my problem? Looks like Microsoft Fax is trying to connect.
I'm on DSL, I dont have a dial up service and I dont have/use a fax machine.
The BSOD are not a constant, they seem to happen hours apart and most often
if I try to play an online game World Of Warcraft. I'm able to play for an hour or
so then I crash and reboot. So far just surfing the internet hasnt caused a reboot,
but its early so I feel sure it'll happen.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

You can disable the Fax service by going to Start...Run...and typing in "services.msc" (without the quotes) and then press Enter.

Scroll down the list until you get to Fax. Right click on it and select Properties, then select the dropdown box that says Automatic (it could also say Manual) and click on Disabled. Then click on OK. This will prevent the service from starting.

Next, right click on the service and select "Stop" - this will stop the currently running instance of Fax so that it doesn't continue to generate errors.

Something is trying to fax stuff from your system - that's not good if you didn't ask it to. Try this free, online scan to check your system out (it also checks your registry): http://safety.live.com/

Does the Device Scanner error go away if you switch back to the old vid card and old drivers?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users