Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How To Delete Write Protected Files?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 sgoodreds

sgoodreds

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:36 PM

I started with over 700 files that McAfee couldn't clean/quaranteen/delete because they were write-protected. I've gone through about 10 different trojan hunters/ spyware finders, etc and have gotten the number of files down to 494. They are all under C:\_Restore. I have tried disabling "Restore" under the properties of "My Computer". The files were originally hidden, but I can now see them. I've tried to manually delete them from Windows Explorer, but get the same message about them being protected or possibly in use. Does anyone have any idea how to get rid of them??? Please help if you can. Thank you!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:06 PM

You can find some aps to delete hard to delete files in Grinler's post here:
Freeware Replacements For Common Commercial Apps
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

Some that come to mind is Delete Doctor, Total Uninstall and Unlocker

#3 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• BC Advisor
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:58 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

sgoodreds

Don't delete anything yet...

I see you have an active HJT log. Altering you computer now will slow down your time to repair. It also may change the way the HJT team member will solve your issues. Until that log is closed, please follow only the advice given in the HJT forum.

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users