Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cyberpower Cps425sl Ups

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rlprlp

rlprlp

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:34 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:25 PM

I was not entirely vigilant when I purchased this, and I missed the part on the box about having to mail away for the adaptor cable. By the time I received the cable, it was too late to take it back to the store. The unit itself works fine, but without the software, it won't shut down Windows XP automatically in the event of power failure. This is where my problem lies. I finally received the cable, hooked it all up (following the instructions very carefully), and inserted the CD to load the program. The program installs all the way up to the last ("Finish") window. I click "Finish", and the last thing I see is a ZoneAlarm window asking about the program. I'm afraid that I don't recall exactly what the ZoneAlarm was asking for, but it did say the UPS program by name. I am unable to click "Allow", because at this point my PC freezes. Everything. The mouse won't move. No Ctrl+Alt+Delete. Nothing. Even the clock in the Task Bar stops. I have to hold the power button on the tower in for 5 seconds just to shut down. And then I am unable to reboot normally. The only cure was to boot in Safe Mode and uninstall the UPS program from there. I went through this entire process twice, starting from scratch the second time, just in case I missed something. I even tried a third time with the DSL unplugged and all of my security programs disabled. (That time, the PC froze the moment I clicked "Finish"; no ZoneAlarm box.) Of course, I am trying to contact CyberPower's tech support, but you can probably guess how that is going... This is a HP Pavilion a1220n desktop with Windows XP Home SP2. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank you to all who take the time to reply.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,993 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:34 AM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:46 PM

They have a site for downloading their software if you want to give that a shot.
http://www.cyberpowersystems.com/downloadstep2.asp?1=1

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:34 AM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

windows XP has a built in power management utility that will pick up most UPSes automatically if they are plugged in with USB.

Start > Control Panel > Performance and Maintenance > Power Options >

you will mainly be concerned with the Alarm and Power meter tabs.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

The software should install with no problem. I have it installed on my computer.

Use add/remove to completely remove all the Cyberpower software, reboot and then install the software without the UPS connected to the computer and with your firewall disabled.

The software installation should complete.
Shutdown the computer.
Now connect the cable from the UPS to one of your usb ports

Boot the computer.
If the firewall alerts for permission allow it.

Edited by Enthusiast, 15 October 2006 - 11:37 PM.

#5 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:07 AM

Thank you for all the suggestions. With the exception to the web site link, they all go completely against the CyberPower instructions. But , they aren't working, are they? Enthusiast, being that you have a unit successfully operating on your PC, I think that I will try your idea first. Oldf@rt, the instructions list specific steps to NOT allow XP to recognize the unit, but if Enthusiast's idea should not work, I am willing to try it. Again, thank you to all.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:04 PM

I think what they mean is not to use the management option XP has for battery backups.

You cannot use both the software for it and the XP management system.

Are you using a serial cable?
Mine came with a special USB cable in the box.

#7 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

Thank you for all the replies, but I have tried absolutely everything that I can think of, and it just won't work. Perhaps I can explain to the store that I had to mail away for the cable, and didn't know until then that the software wouldn't work. Otherwise, at least it works as a battery. I would just have to stay with the habit of turning off my PC whenever I'm not home, and at least I would have about 15-20 minutes to get it shut down properly when I am at home. Thank you again for trying to help!

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:34 AM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:31 PM

Try adding the program to the trusted programs in Zone Alarm.

Otherwise, I'd suggest that you set the system to Hibernate in less time than it would take the battery to discharge.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#9 rlprlp

rlprlp
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 198 posts
  •  

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:02 AM

Thank you, usasma, but no. I spoke with the store; They are going to take it back based on the fact that it wasn't my fault it took so long to receive the cable. I didn't even get poor tech support; I received NO tech support. I was ignored. Spending my money elsewhere is the right thing to do. The store has other brands to choose from...

EDIT: Just got back from the store with a new APC UPS. It installed without a hitch in less than a half-hour (including hook-up).

Edited by rlprlp, 17 October 2006 - 08:36 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users