Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pink T-horse Or Virus In Firefox

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jglnyc

jglnyc

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:42 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:07 PM

Hi there

Suddenly - though not always - then I am typing info into Goggle Search or credit card info on a site, Always in FireFox, a pink search box appears in the lower left of the FireFox Footer TaskBar and hijacks whatever letters or numbers I am typing so that nothing enters the proper box and making the operation impossible.

I love FireFox but this occasional visitor is getting to me and I have been unable to find anything that affects it running in Startup. Also regularly run various virus and ad-ware and nothing seems to help.

Has anyone else encountered this problem???

John

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 15 October 2006 - 03:28 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:13 PM

How strange! What extensions have you added to Firefox?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 jglnyc

jglnyc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:18 PM

Not sure I understand what you mean. but I think I have only added a few plug ins...IE: Java, Flashplayer and X.

The odd thing is sometimes it doesn't appear at all and I can do dozens of googgle searches without it, then this morning I was trying to place an order and every time I tried to type in my name in the Credit Card info screen the dam little pink box appeared and grabbed the letter...it also has several other buttons adjacent to it in pink such as "search", etc, but no matter wht I do I can't seem to find control access. There is a little X which will make it dissapear, but the minute one enters data again it re-appears...amazingly frustrating.

I'm sure I got it sticking my nose where it doesn't belong!

#4 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,963 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:42 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:33 PM

Hmm. This is most peculiar. I use Firefox as my default browser, and I assure you I have no pink boxes grabbing confidential data.

Extensions: If you click on Tools in Firefox, you will see a menu that includes Extensions. Click on it, and you will get a small window that contains the names of the extensions that have been added to the browser. It is from this window that you can uninstall and delete them if you wish. McAfee SiteAdvisor is an example of an extension.

What shows up in the extensions window that comes up when you click on extensions?

Some other questions:

Does anything similar to this happen with any of the other browsers you might use, maybe a separate window pops up grabbing that info.?

Does this happen with all sites in which you enter credit card information?

Does this happen with sites other than Google and the above?

Does it happen with other kinds of information?

Do you have any privacy protection software installed? If so, what is it?

Personally I am suspicious of an infection. You say that you have up-to-date anti-virus and anti-spyware programs. Which ones do you use? It's possible that a different one will find something that the ones you have cannot find.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:
Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,198 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:45 PM

At the top Firefox toolbar, click on "edit" and then click on "find in this page". A tool bar will appear on the bottom of your screen. Is that what you are seeing?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users