Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Pulling desk top files to install on another drive

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:58 AM

Posted 13 October 2018 - 05:26 PM

I had an issue with my laptop drive, I swapped in my original spinner.  I put it in my Roswil enclosure I have no issue accessing it.  I want to find out how to get at my desk top files to copy them to my spinner.  I will work on the SSD when I get a little time and some help, for now I am happy using the spinner.

Phil

Honesty & Integrity Above All!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SGTDRE

SGTDRE

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 15 October 2018 - 07:40 PM

I had an issue with my laptop drive, I swapped in my original spinner.  I put it in my Roswil enclosure I have no issue accessing it.  I want to find out how to get at my desk top files to copy them to my spinner.  I will work on the SSD when I get a little time and some help, for now I am happy using the spinner.

Phil

I would hook it up to a desktop PC transfer the files to a thumb drive large enough, or Double layer DVD and move them that way. That is if you can't do it on the Laptop the same way, now If you were unable to access the SSD HDD when it was in the laptop there may be an issue there.

#3 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 08:05 PM

I gave up for today, had other issues but will look at this tomorrow.

Thanks

Phil

#4 joseibarra

joseibarra

• Members
  • 1,304 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:33 PM

What are "desktop files"?

In Windows everything you see on a users desktop is just the contents of a folder for their profile called "Desktop".  

Every user has a Desktop folder.

You can add/delete things to your Windows desktop or you could add/delete things right in the Desktop folder belonging to that user.

Here is my desktop folder which contains everything I see on my Windows desktop:

Attached File  1.jpg   70.99KB   0 downloads

If your user name on the source drive is OldPhil, the the desktop folder would be here assuming Windows was installed on the C drive:

c:\Users\OldPhil\Desktop

Edited by joseibarra, 16 October 2018 - 06:14 AM.

The mediocre teacher tells. The good teacher explains. The superior teacher demonstrates.

#5 OldPhil

OldPhil

Doppleganger

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4,395 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2018 - 08:49 AM

Thanks for helping to blow some cob webs out, go to users then in my case MOP then it jumps out at you.  Now to format a stick to grab 14g of desk top files, I will get this all sorted out soon.

Again thanks!

Phil aka M.O.P.

Edited by OldPhil, 16 October 2018 - 08:50 AM.

#6 SGTDRE

SGTDRE

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:58 AM

Posted 16 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

Thanks for helping to blow some cob webs out, go to users then in my case MOP then it jumps out at you.  Now to format a stick to grab 14g of desk top files, I will get this all sorted out soon.

Again thanks!

Phil aka M.O.P.

If I was and could be of any assistance, Glad to help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users