I had an issue with my lap top, I switched in my spinner drive and started reloading wanted items. I wanted a new copy of Fire Fox, I used IE for the down load. While still on IE I did an Ebay search, during the search I got hit with a pop up stating My computer was infected the error was shown as 0x80072ee7. It looked as if it did come from MS, I took a chance and called the (877) 887-1934. After a minute or so I hung up on the non informative drivel of the person not having any clue about the issue, I ran Malwarebytes and did find several items. I cleaned things up all is fine. What gets me is how this thing hit me, I had not gone to any sites other then IE for the FF down load. My thinking is the item had to come through IE, I doubt Ebay. I searched the phone number, it was a Canadian prefix. I searched 0x80072ee7, it showed up as a scam just as I thought. Probably a wacky thought and 100% off base but it has me thinking of possible MS complicity!
If posted in wrong section please move.