Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Switched PC off yesterday Flash Bang! Today it won't start?

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#1 Graphicool1

Graphicool1

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:03 AM

Hi Guys

Win7 64bit Pro

As title says, so changed the fuse in the plug nothing. Tried a selection of different power leads nothing. Swapped out the 850w power supply unit for the previous 750w unit, nothing. I'm now thinking it's the motherboard?

Please tell me I'm barking up the wrong tree and it's really something easy to rectify.

Edited by hamluis, 14 October 2018 - 02:01 PM.
Moved from Win 7 to Internal Hardware - Hamluis.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 AM

Posted 13 October 2018 - 11:17 AM

If you have not already tried it do a powercycle. Pull your power cord. Hold the power button down for 30 seconds. Replace the power cord and boot. I had what looked like a dead computer and the powercycle would bring it back. If you are using a surge protector plug the cord directly into the outlet.

#3 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 07:32 AM

Hi JC21

I just gave your idea a shot, I was really wanting it to work. Although, I have to say that I didn't have a lot of faith in it actually solving my dilemma. Sadly, my misgivings were correct, no luck!

The thing that made me think it was/is the MoBo is that when I connect it to the surge protector, where everything else that doesn't get power from the PC is also connected, they all come on as normal. However, anything that gets it's power from the MoBo, doesn't!.

If you can think of anything else I can try, don,t hold back. Because it would seem that no-one else has any suggestion's?.

Cheers Mate 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 08:25 AM

I think at this point if you replaced the PSU with a known good one I would think it is the motherboard. One last thing to try would be to detach your hard drives and any optical drives from the motherboard including the keyboard and mouse. See if the computer boots. If you have more than one RAM stick remove all but one and switch between slots between boots. If that does not give you a boot then swap in another RAM stick and switch that between slots.

Some motherboards have a LED that will show power going to the motherboard. 

#5 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:56 AM

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:31 AM

Let's back up a bit....."Flash Bang!"....could you please give more details? Exactly what happened, and where did the "flash" part come from? Did this "Bang" happen when you switched off, or when you switched ON later? Was there a "melted plastic" smell or anything else?

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:40 AM

ranchhand, I was under the impression the Flash Bang was a figure of speech but I could be wrong on that. 

#7 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:55 AM

Yes....at first that is what I thought also, but then got to thinking about it. Then I noticed the OP said something about replacing a fuse, so....what fuse in what plug? Somewhat confusing.

Edited by ranchhand_, 14 October 2018 - 09:56 AM.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#8 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

Hi Guys

I understand that you are labouring under some confusion, regarding my use of the term 'Flash-Bang'. I was in fact being literal, as there was indeed both an actual flash and a bang, simultainiously.

The PC had been on for most of the day, I had been doing some music arranging on it in the morning. In the afternoon I went on to play a game on 'Steam'. When I use my PC I have the light off, I find it helps me focus and concentrate better on the task at hand. Everything had been normal and fine, it was then time to shut down. I clicked the shut down button and it went to the usual shut down screen. It was within seconds of closing then...(I don't wish to be over dramatic)...but there was a bang and a flash of light, at the same time. The light came from the general direction of the PC and the bang came from my house power board, as it shut down all power to that socket. So there I was sitting in the dark, stunned by what had just happened and wondering what I should or could do about it?!. I thought I'll leave it till the morning, perhaps I would see things more clearly in the cold light of day. Now you know as much as me, I can only say I hope it helps you more than it helps me. As I'm still none the wiser as to exactly what went down or why?!.

PS - The fuse I changed was in the plug of the PC power lead.

Edited by Graphicool1, 14 October 2018 - 11:59 AM.

#9 misar

misar

• Members
  • 66 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:17 PM

If my PC emitted a flash of light, blew the plug fuse, and still shut down the power circuit with a bang I would suspect a massive short, not something like faulty RAM or HDD. Have you inspected the entire PC for signs of a massive short - such as a melted/burnt component or cable?

As it is now dead and did no further fireworks when you changed the PSU suggests either an internal fuse has also blown or whatever shorted is now open circuit. If the latter you should be able to see some indication of the short as above.

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 12:43 PM

As misar posted look for any burnt traces on the motherboard or bulging capacitors. I think being this was a literal Flash Bank you are looking at least a new motherboard. If the computer is on the old side I would budget for a new one.

#11 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 01:56 PM

Actually, no I have neither seen or smelled anything, different or out of the ordinary about the PC. That's not to that there isn't anything amiss, as When I was swapping out the PSU's, I was working by torchlight.

Regarding the age of the PC, chassie and ASUS MoBo they are around 6-7 years old. However, the Soundblaster sound card, GPU Nvidia Gtx, PSU Corsair 850w, CPU i7 QuadCore and the CPU cooler are relatively young. I will probably get a new chassie and MoBo and then it will be a virtual new build.

#12 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,777 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 02:36 PM

Ok, let's start from square one again.

Pull the side panel off the computer.

When you plug in the computer and press the start switch on the front panel, what exactly happens? Is there absolutely no response from anything, just a still, dead unit?  Are any indication lights showing at all, anywhere? Do any of the cooing fans spin up? Put your ear next to the power supply; does the PS fan spin up even if the rest of the unit is dead? That would indicate that at least power is getting to the PS. Does even the monitor power light come on?

Edited by ranchhand_, 14 October 2018 - 02:40 PM.

#13 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:28 AM

Before I continue I have a short and relevent anecdote for you...

It's sometimes noisy where I live, what with the nieghbours horses, lamas, donkies and cockerel's and the fact that there is an army training ground at the end of my road. There are almost always aeroplanes flying back and forth. So loud you can't hear anything else and so low the whole house shakes. When we came to view this property, before buying, I had a word with the nieghbours...

"So what's it like living here then?."

"It's really quiet, just the way we like it."

After we moved in and I found out what it was really like, I said to the nieghbour...

"You told me it was quiet here, what about the planes, the army and the animals?"

"Oh yes, well, you get used to them"

(Monday Oct 15 2018), there has been a developement. It was quiet here, which allows me to tell you something about my PC. As of this morning, when I switched the on my PC there aren't any light's and absolutely no sound's.

Further to this, I noted something else that I really don't understand. I have 3 PSU's the one that was in the PC when all this started (850w), the one that used to be in this PC before I upgraded (750w) and one I took out of an old gaming machine (300w). They all worked when last used. However, now I know that the (850w) isn't working, niether is the (750w) and weirdest of all neither is the (300w). I tested them all this morning, by plugging them directly into the mains socket, but without the first or the last one being connected to he PC. How could I tell that they weren't working?. Because none of their fans were moving.

I have a large selection of power leads, but after I tried to start all the PSU's with four or five leads (to no avail) I gave up. So I imagine the fault lies (oddly) with all 3 PSU's and not the power leads. when I plug anything else into the power socket they immediately work. So it's looking increasingly that I won't be getting a new case and MoBo just yet, but perhaps another PSU instead?. 

Edited by Graphicool1, 15 October 2018 - 08:35 AM.

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,832 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 09:44 AM

You need to connect two pins (the green and black)  in the 24 pin plug in order for the PSU to turn on.

If you have a multimeter. See the below video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ac7YMUcMjbw

Edited by JohnC_21, 15 October 2018 - 09:45 AM.

#15 Graphicool1

Graphicool1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 199 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 10:52 AM

Thanx JC21

I'll give it a, although without the multimeter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users