Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Fax Software

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 johncarter28

johncarter28

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:15 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:20 AM

Hi there,

This may not be the right place to ask this question but all my other problems have been solved by using your excellent site.

My hard drive has been trashed and is away to see what can be retrieved from it and I have had to start from scratch reloading all my software etc. This is no problem (at least not yet!)

I use my old modem to send and receive faxes but don't seem to be able to find the fax software I was using.

I have checked the net and it all seems to be new efax stuff. The programme I am looking for must be at least five years old - could it have been an old copy of winfax?

I didn't buy it - it must have come free either as part of windows or perhaps the modem.

Can anybody either enlighten me on the original or recommend something similar. I don't use it a lot so would really like freeware.

John Carter

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rowal5555

rowal5555

Just enough info to be armed & dangerous...

• Members
  • 2,644 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:57 AM

Hi John.

You could try going to your Control Panel. There is a Fax Wizard available under Printers and Faxes.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Cheers

rowal5555 (Rob )                                                             

Avid supporter of Bleeping Computer's
Team 38444

You can help find a cure

#3 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:10 AM

pick up the modem, turn it over, depending on the age, there might be some numbers, hopefully a sn number(serial number) put that number in your next google search, it might get you the driver.

honestly, with the price of broadband going down by the month a modem connection does seem very slow and old these days. There are no free modems, but they normally give you the broadband modem when you subcribe it it.
everyday is a gift

#4 johncarter28

johncarter28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:13 AM

Thanks,

went there and found it with no problem. Probably saved me hours looking.

Many thanks for a quick and helpful reply.

How do we now close this topic?

John

#5 johncarter28

johncarter28
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:21 AM

Thanks Fleaman,

I have broadband and now only use my old modem for the fax.

I have several clients who still only have fax machines (no internet and some even no computer) and this is the best way I know to send info. I can either scan docs with my HP1100a and send direct or fax directly from word, excel and SAGE.

If you know of a better, or more modern and efficient way please let me know and I will look into it.

Thanks for your reply,

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users