Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Please Help! I am again in distress! Woe is me!

• Please log in to reply
42 replies to this topic

#1 Indomitable

Indomitable

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:12 PM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:05 PM

Hello, there. It has been a while since I have visited this site, the main purpose of which seems to be to grant assistance to computer users experiencing issues with computer viruses and the like. But I am hoping that there is someone whose experience qualifies them to help me resolve an issue that seemingly does not involve computer infections.

It may have been sometime earlier this year or late last year that I got a computer infection which rendered my PC useless. I had Windows 10 when this happened. I was told by a tech guy that I would need to purchase a new hard drive. I did just that, and I entrusted him with the task of installing a new OS. When the computer was once again in my possession, I noticed that my OS was no longer Windows 10; it was Windows 10 Pro. This was about four or five months ago.

At some point during last week I initiated a Windows update, the duration of which was three hours. After its conclusion, I saw the following message: "Your Windows license will soon expire". I was not seeing this message prior to the update. As to why I am seeing it now is a complete mystery to me.

I sought the help of an acquaintance who has more knowledge than I do as it relates to things computer-related. He provided me with a Windows 10 Home link, but I am not able to install Windows 10 Home. Every attempt to do so is met with a message that says "Setup couldn't start properly. Please reboot your PC and try running Windows 10 Setup again". But rebooting and trying again results in an appearance of the same message.

Whatever should I do to be free of this persistent and most aggravating situation?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:00 PM

I sought the help of an acquaintance who has more knowledge than I do as it relates to things computer-related. He provided me with a Windows 10 Home link, but I am not able to install Windows 10 Home.

It may have been sometime earlier this year or late last year that I got a computer infection which rendered my PC useless. I had Windows 10 when this happened. I was told by a tech guy that I would need to purchase a new hard drive.

What link did your friend provide you with? How are you attempting to install?

The official link is here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The resulting download will be an .ISO file. You can burn that image file to a standard DVD or elect to use a thumbdrive of at least 8GBs capacity.

You mentioned that a previous infection resulted in a tech telling you a new hard drive was needed. Perhaps there were other issues with your drive. Generally though a virus infection on a hard drive does Not require its replacement. The tech also should have reinstalled your original OS. Why he didn't, you would have to ask him. I certainly would.

Edited by saw101, 11 October 2018 - 04:16 PM.

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

#3 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:10 PM

Thank you for your response. I cannot tell you how much it means to me that someone has taken the time to acknowledge my post.

The tech guy who advised that my hard drive be replaced stated that my original OS inexplicably went bad. I remember quite vividly that I was prompted to seek his counsel because in an attempt to restart my computer a blue screen appeared, and at the top of it was the following: Recovery. Your PC needs to be repaired". He said the OS was ruined. The computer was in his possession for some time; I think it was because he was trying to get the hard drive to work. I cannot recall quite accurately. But I do remember having to purchase a new hard drive, which he installed, and on it he placed Windows 10 Pro.

Now, I must ask that you please forgive my ignorance. How am I to proceed after clicking on the link that you provided? I am being told different things. When I explained to someone that I keep being told, all of a sudden, that the expiration of my Windows license is imminent, he theorized that the tech guy must have placed a counterfeit Windows 10 Pro onto the hard drive. Another person agreed and added that the issue could be resolved by downloading a crack version of Windows 10 Home. Another source stated that I would have to purchase Windows 10 Home from the Microsoft site, which seems to me a legitimate course of action, and one which I am prepared to take, provided that it will permanently bring to an end the issue that I am facing. What I fear is that I will make the purchase and encounter some unforeseen problem when I try to install the product.

#4 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:17 PM

Oh, I just realized that I did not answer your question "What link did your friend provide you with?"

This is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KgnZCIxwxQs5oqhS7RquYeuru8yUn_6L

#5 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:15 PM

Oh, I just realized that I did not answer your question "What link did your friend provide you with?"

This is the link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1KgnZCIxwxQs5oqhS7RquYeuru8yUn_6L

the tech guy must have placed a counterfeit Windows 10 Pro onto the hard drive.

Another person agreed and added that the issue could be resolved by downloading a crack version of Windows 10 Home. Another source stated that I would have to purchase Windows 10 Home from the Microsoft site, which seems to me a legitimate course of action.

How am I to proceed after clicking on the link that you provided?

Take that link & toss it along with the download. That is not a legitimate Win10.

Most likely the tech did install a VLK copy of 10. Again not legit for your use. Fire him.

Don't even consider downloading a crack version. Bad advice. No need to purchase a copy of Win 10. As I pointed out, you have a legitimate Win7 key & the windows download link I provided you is the FREE upgrade, that is still available to legit owners of Win 7 & 8.

After going to that link it's all pretty basic. Take your time, don't just click away.

Start by reading [Click The + Sign] the information on that page under the following:

Then click "Download Tool Now"  That will start the download for 'MediaCreationTool1803.'  Choose 'Save File' & remember where it saved. Most likely your download folder. It's slightly over 18MB's, so it will be quick.

Now go to that file & click it to start the Win10 ISO download. It will take a bit longer as it is about 3.5GBs. We'll pause here for now. Post back after the download completes.

#6 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:22 PM

Thank you for the instructions. I shall tell you of the outcome when I am done.

#7 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:46 PM

One thing I forgot to mention/point out.....When you get to the question, "What Do You Want To Do?" you will have 2 choices.

Select "Create Installation Media [USB Flash Drive, DVD, or ISO file] for another PC."

#8 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:56 PM

I downloaded Windows 10 onto my USB. That process, while lengthy, is now complete.

#9 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:14 PM

What am I supposed to do next?

#10 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:40 PM

OK before going any further understand that a Clean install will wipe everything from your computer. If you have anything of value on the machine, documents, photos, music, etc now is the time to start backing that stuff up. Take your time. Make note of needed software that you will need to re-install. Don't worry about Anti-Virus software as Win10 has a very capable one built in. Don't overlook files you may have placed on the desktop. Lots of favorites/bookmarks in your browser? Backup those too. Also, make a note of your Win7 key & double check it for accuracy.

Backup to an external drive, a different USB drive, or DVD media.

I downloaded Windows 10 onto my USB. That process, while lengthy, is now complete.

By that I assume you mean it was directly downloaded to your thumb drive & you did not simply copy the ISO to it? The drive needs to be bootable. Post back.

#11 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:51 PM

Um, I am hoping I did not go ahead of myself. I have successfully backed up everything valuable to me. Because I noticed you were not online, I went ahead and initiated the setup. But I did not turn off the computer to boot from the USB. Is that OK? Also, I seem to have missed something; where am I supposed to get the Windows 7 key from?

I will tell you of my current progress: after initiating the setup, I had to agree to some terms and conditions, then I was told that I would not be able to keep my files. Currently it is checking for updates. It is at 16%.

#12 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:56 PM

This what I am currently seeing. I feel like I did something wrong. Did I?

Attached Files

#13 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:39 PM

I have done nothing else. I am waiting to hear from you what I should do. I can't shake off the feeling that I may have done something I should not have.

#14 saw101

saw101

• Members
  • 463 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:40 PM

No you haven't done anything wrong. That's part of the setup. Choose "Keep Nothing" and click Install

Edited by saw101, 11 October 2018 - 11:42 PM.

#15 Indomitable

Indomitable
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 56 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:46 PM

All righty.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users