Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"No Audio Output Device is installed" after a Windows Update.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 ChrisDDickey

ChrisDDickey

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:41 PM

Yesterday my computer wanted to do a Windows Update. I turned if off after an "Update and shutdown".

Today I have no audio.
In system tray, speaker has red x, and says "No Audio Output Device is installed".
In control panel - sound, playback says "No audio devices are installed".

I have a few month old Republic of Gamers branded ASUS GL553VD.
Intel® Core™ i7-7700HQ CPU @ 2.80GHz
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Single Language (64-bit)  Version 1803   OS Build 10.0.17134
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050   and also    Intel® HD Graphics 630
Intel® Display Audio   Driver Version 10.26.0.1   Date 9/4/2018
I have nothing plugged into my computer other than a power cord (no speakers, or hdmi, etc.). 

I have used the Device manager to install, update, deleted, etc. "Sound, Video and game controller": "Intel® Display Audio."
Also, on the advice of the internet, played with nvidia sound controller via "add legacy device". I also reinstalled nvidia drivers to see if it would help. 
I have updated all the device drivers and Intel software says both my audio and graphics drivers (and all others) are up to date.

In Device Manager - Other Devices: It has Intel High Definition Audio with a yellow exclamation point. Says it ether has no drivers, or can't install them. Says can't find them. I have tried searching for device drivers but it always fails. I have tried disabling and/or deleting it, but it always shows up again shortly, still with the yellow exclamation point. If I uninstall both the "Other Devices" "Intel High Definition Audio" and the "Sound, Video and game controller" "Intel® Display Audio", then tell it to search for new hardware, it creates a "Intel High Definition Audio" in both "Other Devices" and in "Sound, Video, and game controller", but then after about 15 seconds the one in SV&GC changes to "Intel® Display Audio".  So I suspect the one one Other Devices is just a remnant of that process. 

In system restore, it seems that System Protection was turned off (I certainly did not do that - it must have come that way) so I can't restore my system files to the way they were before the update.

In desperation I tried the 'Windows refresh' where it says it re-installs windows while leaving your user files in place. That took a long time, and at the end of it, it (of course) reapplied all the updates it has ever done. At the end of it I still have a red x on the speaker icon and no audio. I noticed that after that, system protection was disabled again, so that seems to be the default!!! Silly!  The only thing I can think of that I have not tried is to totally wipe the system (user files and all) but don't really see why that would be more likely to work than what I already did. 

I went into uninstall updates and uninstalled the 5 it would allow me to uninstall, but there are two updates it will not allow me to. 

Searching the internet there are many articles telling me that this is easily fixed by doing the things I tried above. There is one in this forum yesterday that was fixed by reinstalling his sound card drivers. There are also several dozen messages (one on this forum) that almost sound like they could have been written by me they are so close. Most of them get answers to try the stuff that I (and they) had already tried and did not work. One posted to say "it started working again a few days later, don't know why". Other than that, nobody seems to be posting solutions that work if all the easy solutions don't work. 

I am at my wits end trying to figure out how to get audio again.
Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank You

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Goddess_Bastet

Goddess_Bastet

• Members
  • 103 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:31 PM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:11 PM

Download the Intel driver updater to see if there's an update to the drivers:
https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/support/detect.html
Reinstall the graphics driver, the Intel audio is installed with the graphics driver.

#3 ChrisDDickey

ChrisDDickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:14 PM

Thanks, but I have tried that several times. 

I downloaded that exact Intel Driver and support assistant, and it said my graphics and audio were up to date (though it did update an (i think) disk driver). I updated the nVidia drivers.  I then manually downloaded the intel drivers and installed them again. Then ran the support assassinate to make sure it was still good. 

I told Device manager to uninstall the two graphics drivers one at a time. I was nervous as heck when I told it to uninstall them both at the SAME time.  I have done every combination of update and uninstall I can think of. 

But device manager thinks that everything is fine. And the Sound Playback says "no audio devices are installed". 

I mean most of the things I have been reading say that doing that should fix it. But it does not. 

And once again, It was working for months, and then an update comes along and suddenly it does not work. 

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,418 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 04:08 PM

Is the yellow exclamation mark still next to your Intel High Definition Audio? If yes, right click, select properties, and under the Details tab select Hardware IDs in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line into your next post.

#5 nyotmyproblem

nyotmyproblem

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:36 PM

I had the exact same issue as you, right down to the 'Intel High Definition Audio' switching to the 'Intel Display Audio' driver. What worked for me was, weirdly enough, downloading a Realtek audio driver off the website. I'm not sure if it'll work for you (I'm running a HP Pavilion laptop), but it might be worth trying some trial-and-error sound driver downloads. It might be better to contact your computer's manufacturer directly because they should be able to direct you to the correct driver you need.

For what it's worth, once I installed the Realtek driver, the 'Intel High Definition Audio' completely disappeared (making it something of a red herring?). The only two audio drivers I have running at the moment are the 'Intel Display Audio' and the 'Realtek High Definition Audio' which are both under the 'Sound, video and games controllers' section. I'm guessing that the Windows update deleted my original audio driver and installed the wrong one, which it then failed to recognise.

#6 kenaida

kenaida

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:51 PM

I have an HP laptop with exactly the same problem:

Intel® Display Audio
  • Driver Provider Intel® Corporation
  • Driver Version10.26.0.1
  • Driver Date 4/9/2018
  • Device Id INTELAUDIO\FUNC_01&VEN_8086&DEV_280B&SUBSYS_80860101&REV_1000\4&34A7FD6B&0&0201

On top of the obvious windows "fix the problem" options, I tried to reinstall the graphics driver (from the intel website, using the "detected" hardware link) as there is no separate audio driver. No joy! Still they yellow exclamation mark. since it follows the windows update, it must be the cause and they're bound to be releasing a fix soon no doubt!

#7 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 07:54 PM

Hi, just to follow on from JohnC21's post we can automate this and get a little bit more info.

Press the win +x keys together, select Poweshell(admin) from the options. copy the below cmd and right click anywhere in the powershell window the cmd will append to the prompt, press enter.

Get-WmiObject Win32_PnPSignedDriver| select devicename, driverversion | where {$_.devicename -like "*Intel High Definition Audio*"} | out-file c:\nic.txt
Notepad C:\nic.txt

This gives us the driver date and version, as windows see's it. Please paste the notepad output here.

Next still in powershell type:-

cmd (press enter) a cmd prompt will open within powershell. Copy the below cmd, right click as above.

wmic sounddev get Caption, DeviceID, PNPDeviceID, Manufacturer, status /Format:List > 0 & notepad 0 

This will give us John's info plus some more, please copy paste the notepad output here. 

#8 abhishekmdb

abhishekmdb

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:37 PM

The windows 10 October 2018 update has once again caused the same problem. the error for audio not working in several pc's of different brands and manufacturer. here is how to fix No Audio Output Device Is Installed error In Windows 10

#9 ChrisDDickey

ChrisDDickey
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:40 PM

We have a WINNER!!!

Thank you very much to everybody who suggested things, but abhishekmbd's link to https://www.techworm.net/2018/10/no-audio-output-device-is-installed.html is exactly how to fix it!

Thank you all very much!

Edited by ChrisDDickey, 11 October 2018 - 09:45 PM.

#10 jenae

jenae

• Members
  • 819 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:31 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:40 PM

Hi, we were heading that way. we needed to be sure you had the right drivers, and windows itself recognized the card, otherwise the manual install doesn't work, glad you got it sorted.

#11 uispaghetto

uispaghetto

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:31 PM

Posted 12 October 2018 - 06:19 PM

Thank you so much! I had an important call to answer yesterday and I wasn't able to answer it, so I had to catch up on what I missed today. This totally helped my audio problem, and it was even simpler than what HP and other sites had to offer. Thank you again!

https://www.techworm.net/2018/10/no-audio-output-device-is-installed.html

#12 Mick C

Mick C

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:42 AM

Just followed the link supplied and copied the simple instructions. Worked straight away. Thankyou abhishekmdb and Chris

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users