Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

move files MS to Linux

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:41 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 10:43 AM

I want to move 268 docx files to Libre Office from MS Home and Student Office 2010.

I do not know if I should convert as default to docx before or after I use the wizard.

The first time was awful.

I would like to use Libre as I did in MS with my file set to default docx.

Setting the default is easy but importing/exporting with he wizard not so easy. I could do it with a few files but 268 would take forever. I saw a batch program in YouTube but it was too hard for me. MS is too much M$ and is all about the cloud. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:15 AM

Just to confirm. You created these docx files on Windows and you wish to open them on a linux computer with Libre Office? I'm not sure what you wish to convert asLibre Office can open and save docx files. You want to convert to Libre open document format? Sometimes Libre has issues converting and formatting docx files to open document format.

For more compatibility you may want to look at FreeOffice. This suite has very good compatibility with Office. There is also a linux version.

https://www.freeoffice.com/en/

#3 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,786 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 12:04 PM

I, too, am confused, particularly by reference to a wizard.

Moving .docx files from Windows to Linux requires nothing more than a jump drive, cloud storage, or some other method to shuttle them from one machine to the other.

I agree that while LibreOffice can gracefully handle opening .docx files it is rather insistent about saving them as .odt format (though you can get around this).

I've used Free Office on several machines where their owners did not want to purchase MS-Office (before recycled licenses became legal and available) on the PC platform because it is the most "office like" in look and feel of the alternative office suites.  As John_C21 has already noted they support the Linux platform.

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#4 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:05 PM

Thank you for replying to my post. I hope I can be clearer.

There is a wizard in Libre Office which states it can import  .docx files from MS office.

I currently have a dell XPS 8300 with MS Office Home and Student 2010.

I wish to have these files in Libre Office  and in there convert the Libre extension to Windows using the drop down. That part I understand and then I can use the files in Libre and not MS.

!! My question is, once I install Libre Office, how do I transfer the .docx files from my current Office 2010 to the newly installed  Libre Office. 

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:35 PM

The Wizard will convert docx files to Libre Office odt files. Sometimes the conversion does not go over clean. 

I have the portable version of Libre Office which also has the converter. In the Main Application the Wizard will let you batch convert all your documents in one go. Put all your docx files in a folder. Tell Libre Office what folder the docx files are in and where you want the converted files to go. Macros in Office will not transfer to Libre Office.

This video gives a good walk through.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ujw0Y6aEq8

#6 britechguy

britechguy

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt

• 9,786 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 02:45 PM

PDN wrote, in part:  "I wish to have these files in Libre Office  and in there convert the Libre extension to Windows using the drop down. "

This is still entirely muddled.  You are starting out with .docx files.  You are having Libre Office open .docx files.  Libre Office can open .docx files without any issue.  By default, when you go to save them it will favor .odt, but you can also use the dropdown to tell it to retain .docx format.

You can do whatever conversion you wish to do as you use the files, and that will also allow you to see what, if any, issues pop up if/when you go from docx to odt or vice versa.

Doing this in bulk in the context you've given, where the volume of files (268) is not large, even on a human scale, makes no sense.  These converter wizards are meant for "corporate sized" stores of documents numbering in the thousands, where there is a desire for everyone accessing them to access them in the desired file format.  

Brian  AKA  Bri the Tech Guy (website in my user profile) - Windows 10 Home, 64-Bit, Version 1809, Build 17763 

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts.  Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the earth all one's lifetime.

~ Mark Twain

#7 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:39 PM

This is Libre Office on my desktop with the yellow folder containing all the files. I cannot copy paste or drag drop into either the Libre Office or the writer. 

Attached Files

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,822 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:47 PM

In the left pane click on Open FIle. Browse to a docx file in your folder. Does it open. If not click Writer in the left pane and when it opens click File > Open and browse to one of the docx files in your folder. Does the docx file open?

#9 svim

svim

• Members
  • 77 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:41 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:45 PM

Typically LibreOffice will be open MS Office files by just opening them, but that 'typically' is conditional on a lot of things. I agree on trying what JohC_21 suggests though, using the File menu option and see how that works out. As to why your files won't open using the drag-and-drop method you were trying, is LibreOffice in your Windows file type listing for docx files? If not that could be a possible reason why that's not working.

-- Also, do you use a lot of macros? MS Office uses VBA (Visual Basic for Apps) for macros while LibreOffice relies on Basic so if you have a lot of saved MS Office docs with macros that could be part of the problem. And/or if you embed a lot of MS Office docs into each other (i.e. a xlsx spreadsheet embedded into a docx file), that often results in problems too (including older versions of MS Office and with other third-party Office suites, not just LibreOffice).

-- Another thing to check in LibreOffice's Options menu is under the 'Advanced' sub-menu. Do you have Java (Java Runtime Environment or JRE) installed on your PC? (... and before some freak out, I'm referring to Java the scripting language support, not the cursed, and now basically defunct, Java Browser plugin)

-- and while you're in the Options menu, there are some MS Office specific options in the Load/Save menu that you should look into.

#10 pcpunk

pcpunk

• Members
  • 6,325 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:20 PM

Do you still have Office Home and Student Office 2010 Installed?  If so you will need to set LibreOffice as the default programs to open files.  Or, you may need to do this anyway, but I've never been in the same situation as you to be honest.

Are you talking about the 10-9-18 Folder?  Just open the folder with the files in it and Libre should open them no problemo.  Libre will not read them perfectly in some cases but will still open them without any type of Converter?

I don't understand why you are trying to "copy paste or drag drop into either the Libre Office or the writer"  I don't understand the idea that you are using.  Perhaps it is possible but I've never done anything like what you are describing.  

sBCcBvM.png

Created by Mike_Walsh

KDE, Ruler of all Distro's

eps2.4_m4ster-s1ave.aes_pcpunk_leavemehere

#11 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 150 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 07:26 AM

OK - I opened a file with MS Office and then opened it as Libre and  set it to always open as Libre - so now it is working as it should, I believe. I like this as much as MS to date. I will change the default under tools options etc  to Office 97 .docx

I'll be back if there is an issue but thank you all very much for your patience and kind help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users