Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 2008 R2 doesn't update.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Tacis

Tacis

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:59 AM

Hello!

We have Windows Server 2008 R2 that doesn't want to update. Error code is 80248014. Tried FixIt from Microsoft website - didn't work.

Can you guys help me get Windows to update, please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,266 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:15 AM

Posted 14 October 2018 - 09:23 AM

Are you using a WSUS server for updates, or getting them directly from Microsoft? Make sure your registry keys and/ or group policy are set correctly, depending on the source of your updates.

Are you running antivirus on that server? Some AV software has been known to cause problems running updates.

The error you are receiving indicate your Windows Update files are corrupt. If the fixit tool failed to resolve it, you will have to reset WU manually.

You should start by opening a command prompt, running it as administrator, and run sfc /scannow.

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, go to services.msc and stop the BITS, wuauserv and cryptsrv services. Then go to C:\Windows and renames the Software Distribution folder to something like Software Distributon.bak. Restart the services or reboot the server, which does basically the same thing.

The try updating again.

#3 Tacis

Tacis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:15 PM

Posted 16 October 2018 - 02:47 AM

Are you using a WSUS server for updates, or getting them directly from Microsoft? Make sure your registry keys and/ or group policy are set correctly, depending on the source of your updates.

Getting directly from Microsoft, registry seems to be OK.

Are you running antivirus on that server? Some AV software has been known to cause problems running updates.

Microsoft Security Essentials.

The error you are receiving indicate your Windows Update files are corrupt. If the fixit tool failed to resolve it, you will have to reset WU manually.

You should start by opening a command prompt, running it as administrator, and run sfc /scannow.

That didn't help, unfortunately.

If that still doesn't resolve the issue, go to services.msc and stop the BITS, wuauserv and cryptsrv services. Then go to C:\Windows and renames the Software Distribution folder to something like Software Distributon.bak. Restart the services or reboot the server, which does basically the same thing.
The try updating again.

Well, and that did help, once. It installed some updates, then rebooted. After a few days I checked out what's happening. So, at the moment:
1. Windows doesn't update automatically, I have to click the button to search for updates.
2. When I try to search for updates, I get error 80248014 again.

What can I try to do next? Please help.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users