Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help With Video, Getting This Error At Startup

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Markeh

Markeh

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:31 AM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 01:50 AM

Hi,

When I startup my computer, it shows a error about my video card, it says: To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

That has been happening ever since i got the computer. My video card is a Nvida 6600 (not GT or anything else) it's AGP and I do play games alot, and a recent game i have bought is Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter, I know that should not run really well on my system (Nvdia 6600 AGP vid card, 3.0 Ghz Pentium 4 thats all I know) but that error says that my video card isn't doing as well as it should :thumbsup: does anybody know how to fix this error? Thank you in advance............

Markeh

Edited by Markeh, 15 October 2006 - 02:12 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:29 AM

I just bought Ghost Recon myself - and it's a b*tch to get running! (still haven't managed it!).

Have you updated your video drivers from the nVidia website? If not, here's a link to the latest version: http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_91.47.html
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Markeh

Markeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:53 PM

Yeah, I already tried updating my drivers :thumbsup: it didn't improve the fps in graw. But I installed the drivers without deleting the other drivers in there (I don't know which drivers to delete)

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:53 PM

Try rolling the driver back if it didn't improve performance when you upgraded.

#5 Markeh

Markeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:48 AM

rolling the driver back? how do i do that?

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 03:43 AM

Go to the device manager, find the device, double click on it.

#7 Andersson

Andersson

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:26 AM

Does the pop up also say this for you?

Problem report

The NVIDIA System Sentinel is reporting that the NVIDIA-powered graphics card is not receiving sufficient power.

To protect your hardware from potential damage or causing a potential system lockup, the graphics processor has lowered its performance to a level that allows continued safe operations.

Mine does and I have a 7600GS card and a 420W power supply, which is well over the required 300W.

If this is your problem as well, then first of all check that the power cord is attached correctly! Also check that the power supply can handle the card by comparing the requirements of the card (probably displayed on the box it came in) to your power supply.

Does anyone know if it matters if you put the card on a power cord with nothing else attached to it or not?

#8 Markeh

Markeh
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:40 PM

That's exactly the problem I get, I'm trying to open the box, exept the screws are nailed in so tightly its not working damnit.

#9 Andersson

Andersson

• Members
  • 39 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:31 PM

Posted 25 October 2006 - 09:18 AM

I'm still getting the insufficient power problem, does anyone know what it could be?

As I mentioned in my last post I have a 420w power supply and the card only required 300w.

#10 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

I just read that Thermaltake is offering a video card PSU. This may help you out.

But, the 300w specification for your video card is an estimate. Typically video cards take around 65w (this may vary widely) - but they don't require the entire 300w. That would leave nothing for the rest of the components inside the case. (I have a 450w PSU and don't have any problems with my nVidia card).

I have seen problems with the nVidia sentinal program and have, in one case, recommended disabling it BUT I DON'T SUGGEST THIS!!!

The actual selection of which plug to use is dependent upon how your PSU is wired. I'd suggest that you put the vid card on it's own plug (after tracing the wiring back to the PSU) just to be sure.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#11 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:31 PM

Posted 27 October 2006 - 10:39 AM

There are issues with the ratings of power supplies. Provided they aren't outright lying, which is way to common, there is the question of continuous output vs peak output and the derating curve. And whether it outputs the power on the rail you need it to. The power supply giving you a lot of power on the 3.3V or 5V rail won't help you since the graphics card eats power of the 12V rail.
The Truth about PSU power ratings

My brother also has a GeForce 6600GT and he never could get GRAW to run properly on it.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users