Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Is it possible to have a hacker accessing my PC live without me seeing it?

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
5 replies to this topic

#1 ionblue

ionblue

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 10 October 2018 - 11:20 PM

I have a question, however far fetched it may seem.

Is it possible for a hacker to access a machine remotely using an undetectable RAT that when he is accessing my PC i do not see the keyboard or mouse move on my end?

Could it then access my open and already logged in applications/processes for example and mess around with the graphical user interface of that program without it being reflected on my screen?

I suspect i may have something on my machine, i am willing to go through the process and provide logs if this is possible.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:13 AM

Yes it is possible for a hacker to remotely access your machine without your knowledge. Once an attacker gets administrative access, the system is compromised and they can introduce malware and/or use remote access tools to do just about anything.

If you want a comprehensive look at your system for possible malware by our experts, there are advanced tools which can be used to investigate but they are not permitted in this forum. Please follow the instructions in the Malware Removal and Log Section Preparation Guide. When you have done that, start a new topic and post your logs in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs forum, NOT here, for assistance by the Malware Response Team. If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

If you choose to post a log, please reply back in this thread with a link to the new topic.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#3 SwingJitsu

SwingJitsu

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:38 PM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:26 AM

Hi Ionblue - Echoing what Bleepin' Janitor said, it's not far fetched at all to assume that an attacker could access your system without actually interacting with your graphical interface. Attackers that have complete control of your computer often won't need a graphical interface to do what they want to do. They could simply use a command line program on their computer to log into your computer whenever it's powered on and connected to the internet, even if you're not actively using the device. 

Two ways to help combat this are to turn off your computer when you're done using it, and to turn off your router when you don't need it. It might be a bit overkill, but if you're on vacation and out of town, then you might as well go green. 

#4 ionblue

ionblue
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:38 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:27 PM

Link to new post:

https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/index.php?app=forums&module=post&section=post&do=new_post&f=22

#5 midimusicman79

midimusicman79

• Members
  • 764 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 12 October 2018 - 08:40 AM

Hi, ionblue!

That link only leads to a blank post, and as such, you have to repost your new topic in the Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Help forum.

However, you do not have to rewrite it, because, all you have to do is pressing the Back button on your web browser, and your post should reappear.

Then, you have to press the Post New Topic button to actually post your new topic, because, that is what you inadvertently forgot to do previously. :thumbup2:

However, if your post does not reappear by itself, (you may have to click the More reply options button at the bottom right of the post composing window).

Then, you have to click the View Auto Saved Content link at the bottom left of the post composing window.

Then, you have to click the Restore content button at the bottom right of the popup window, and your post should reappear.

Then, you click the Add Reply button, and when your new topic has been posted, you have to copy the address line (the link to your new topic).

Then, you return to this topic and paste the link to your new topic in a new post here, and press the Add Reply button. :thumbup2:

I think I managed to explain everything properly, however, as these instructions are rather detailed, if need be, others can post additional instructions.

Good luck! :)

Regards,

midimusicman79

MS Win 10 Pro 64-bit, EAM Pro/EEK, MB 3 Free, WPP, SWB Free, CryptoPrevent Free, NVT OSA and Unchecky, WFW, FFQ with CanDef, uBO, Ghostery, Grammarly Free and HTTPS Ew. Acronis TI 2018, K. Sw. Upd. AM-tools: 9-lab RT BETA, AdwCleaner, Auslogics AM, aswMBR, Avira PCC, BD ART, catchme, Cezurity AV, CCE, CKS, ClamWin P., Crystal Sec., DDS, DWCI, EMCO MD, eScan MWAV, ESS/EOS, FGP, FMTB, FRST, F-SOS, FSS, FreeFixer, GMP, GMER, hP BETA, HJT, Inherit, JRT, K. avz4, KVRT, K. TDSSKiller, LSP-Fix, MB 3 Free, MBAR BETA, MA Stinger, NMC, NoBot, NPE, NSS, NVT MRF (NMRF), OTL, PCC, QD, RCS, RSIT, RKill, Rs, SC, SR, SAP, SVRT, SAS, SL, TMHC, TSA ART, UHM, Vba32 AR, VRS, WR (AiO), Xvirus PG, ZAM, ZHPC, ZHPD and Zoek. I have 23 Years of PC Experience. Bold = effective.

#6 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,765 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:38 PM

Posted 12 October 2018 - 09:13 AM

Your new topic and logs are posted here.

Now that your new topic is posted, you should NOT make further changes to your computer (install/uninstall programs, use special fix tools, delete files, edit the registry, etc) unless advised by a Malware Response Team member...nor should you continue to ask for help elsewhere. Doing so can result in system changes which may not show in the information or any log(s) you already posted. Further, any modifications you make on your own may cause confusion for the member assisting you and could complicate the malware removal process or make things worst which would extend the time it takes to clean your computer.

From this point on the Malware Response Team should be the only members that you take advice from, until they have verified your system is clean.

Please be patient. It may take several days to get a response because the Malware Response Team members are very busy working logs posted before yours. They are volunteers but your topic will be reviewed and answered as soon as possible. Once you have posted your log and are waiting, please DO NOT "bump" your post or make another reply until it has been responded to by a member of the Malware Response Team. Generally the staff checks the forum for postings that have 0 replies as this makes it easier for them to identify those who have not been helped. If you post another response there will be 1 reply. A team member, looking for a new log to work may assume another Malware Response Team member is already assisting you and not open the thread to respond.

I advise checking your new topic once a day for responses as the e-mail notification system is unreliable.

If HelpBot replies to your topic, please follow Step One and CLICK the link so it will report your topic to the team members.

To avoid confusion, I am closing this topic.

Good luck.
The BC Staff
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users