Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

slow establishment of the internet connection

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 seraphin

seraphin

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:46 PM

Not sure where to post my question, I chose this group to find some help -

For the past several days, I noticed a VERY slow connection to the internet between my laptops and the modem/router (Arris Surfboard modem/router).

This happens generally on two occasions - in the morning after I wake up and attempt to connect laptops to the internet; in the evening after I come home from work and attempt to connect laptops to the internet.

It takes between 5-20 min to connect to the internet. Wifi connection is immediate but both wifi and direct wired connection to the router fails to connect the laptop to the internet.

After 5-20 min, the internet would eventually be established and once it is established, the connection does not drop.

Any possible explanation for the slow establishment of internet connection ? a hardware, software, or infection-related issue ???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SwingJitsu

SwingJitsu

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:01 AM

Hi Seraphin - It'd be helpful to get some more info from you to diagnose the issue. Let me know if you run into any issues answering the questions below and I can provide more detail. 

-What OS are you running? I'm going to assume you're on Windows, but please correct me if I'm wrong. 

-Are you able to connect to the internet without issues on another device, such as your phone, with your Wifi? 

-When you first connect and are unable to access the internet, open a command prompt (press the Windows key and R simultaneously then type "cmd" and hit enter) In the prompt type "ipconfig". Several adapters will show up, but look for one that says Wi-Fi in the title. Mine says "Wireless LAN adapter Wi-Fi". Let me know what IP address is listed by 'IPv4 address'. It could be a DHCP issue if you're seeing an IP address that starts with 169.254. 

-Again on the command prompt when you're unable to connect, enter "tracert 8.8.8.8". Is it failing immediately or does the first row of the output look like it's connecting to another device? This shows the path that your computer wants to take in order to talk with a popular Google DNS server. The first row shows your computer talking to your router. If it fails at the second row, then it may be an issue with your router or your internet service provider. 

-SJ

#3 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:35 PM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 06:23 AM

Sounds like your having 'Peak Time' issues, have you checked Channels for local interference?

I would do a local WiFi network scan using 'Airmon-ng' and see what channel others around you are using.

Its a start :wink:

The quieter you become, the more you are able to hear!
CEH, CISSP @ WhiteHat Computers Pty Ltd

#4 seraphin

seraphin
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:15 PM

Thanks a lot for the input.

Unfortunately (or fortunately :bowdown: ), this morning and tonight connection to the internet is problem-free. I will continue to monitor the system and will use the suggested cmd controls to see where the real problems are.

Short answers -

1. running Windows 10. At one point I was wondering if the recent Windows 10 update had anything to do with internet connection.

2. did not assess how my phone interacted with my router. But can we distinguish between wifi-router-based connection and cell-phone-service-based connection to the internet ?

3. my ip address starts with 192.168. so I guess it's not DHCP issue ?

5. if I understand anything, airmon-ng seems to be a tool for wifi security. If a wired connection to the modem failed to connect to the internet, can we rule out those issues related to wifi security (generally speaking) ?

#5 SwingJitsu

SwingJitsu

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:35 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:28 PM

Glad you're problem free right now! Try connecting to your Wifi using your phone next time you notice your laptop being slow to connect. It might give us some insight into whether the issue is specific to your computer or if it's effecting all devices that try to connect to the internet through your router. I'm starting to doubt that it's a DHCP issue, but it wouldn't hurt to check again when you're having trouble connecting. 

I'll defer to Replicator about Airmon-ng since I've only used it on a few occasions.

#6 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:24 AM

Yes WiFi connections only, If your on Ethernet, channel selections are irrelevant.

Check your routers logs!

Edited by Replicator, 12 October 2018 - 05:25 AM.

#7 Replicator

Replicator

• Members
  • 306 posts
  •  

Posted 12 October 2018 - 05:37 AM

2. did not assess how my phone interacted with my router. But can we distinguish between wifi-router-based connection and cell-phone-service-based connection to the internet ?

With Wifi enabled on the phone, it would have seen the SSID of your home network (router).

You would have had to enter login creds for the router to sit on its network.

The icon in the top of screen will tell you which network, but if in doubt, turn off WiFi and then you will know your on 4g/5g

#8 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,753 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 AM

Posted 13 October 2018 - 06:26 AM

3. my ip address starts with 192.168. so I guess it's not DHCP issue ?

When a Windows DHCP client fails to obtain an IPv4 address from a DHCP server, it will fallback to a so-called APIPA IP address that starst with 169.254

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Link-local_address

Edited by Didier Stevens, 13 October 2018 - 06:27 AM.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users