Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't install updates

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 333nnn

333nnn

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:19 AM

Posted 10 October 2018 - 04:05 PM

I use Windows 8.1 64 bit.  I regularly get notices that say that I need to go to Updates to manually update Windows.  When  I go to "Update and Recovery" and click "Install" I get an error saying that updates failed to install.  When I run the Windows Update Troubleshooter it says that it fixed the update problem, and after running Update Troubleshooter and clicking "Install" in "Update and Recovery" it will begin installing but does not complete the installation.  I use WiFi that is not entirely reliable, but I am able to download programs, videos, etc. consistently.

I have updates set to install automatically, so why do I get notices saying that I need to go to "Update and Recovery" to manually install updates?  When shutting down my computer I regularly get the "Update and Restart" and "Update and Shutdown" options.  When I choose one of these the computer seems to update successfully.  I looked at my recent update history and some have installed successfully and others have not.  Thanks for any replies.    

Edited by 333nnn, 11 October 2018 - 01:56 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dmccoy

dmccoy

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 1,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 AM

Posted 17 October 2018 - 07:29 PM

Click on Start menu
Type command to start searching 
Right click on command prompt in list and select Run Administrator
how-to-open-an-elevated-command-prompt
Copy and Paste each the commands below into the command prompt and press Enter key

1. sfc /scannow

2. (Windows 8 or higher)
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

If any Errors are found with sfc /scannow then:
Copy and Paste the following command, and press ENTER:
copy %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\CBS.txt"

This will copy CBS.txt to your desktop
Upload CBS.txt file 
(if it is to large then compress to a .zip file and/or use file sharing site and provide the link)

Edited by dmccoy, 17 October 2018 - 07:30 PM.

We are all volunteers so please by kind, courteous and respectful

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

BC BSOD Posting Instructions 

#3 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:17 PM

So I just copy/paste both sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth right after the flashing underscore line and press enter and run them at the same time ?

#4 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2018 - 02:47 PM

That is correct. They are two separate commands. Copy and paste each one and hit enter key.

After running disregard the “If any Errors” run the command and provide the cbs.log

I try to respond in 24-48 hours normally and I am more active on weekdays than weekends. However, sometimes due to my health, family or life it may take me a little longer. If you have not heard from me within 72 hours then please PM me a reminder. 

#5 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 18 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

These are examples of how the commands should look in command prompt

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sfc /scannow
C:\WINDOWS\system32>dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

#6 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2018 - 03:56 AM

I ran sfc /scannow and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth, but I can't paste copy %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\CBS.txt".   C:\WINDOWS\system32 does not appear when running dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth is completed.

#7 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2018 - 05:39 AM

I figured it out.  I'll upload the CBS.txt file tomorrow.

#8 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2018 - 10:59 AM

Okay good. Upload the cbs.txt when you have a chance.

#9 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2018 - 01:37 AM

This is the only line in CBS.txt file on my desktop: "Overwrite C:\windows\system32\CBS.log? (Yes/No/All): "  Should I run sfc /scannow  and dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth again?  What mistake did I make?  I entered a command a second time before the scan completed.

#10 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

"Overwrite C:\windows\system32\CBS.log? (Yes/No/All): "

Go ahead and let it overwrite the existing cbs.log and upload.

#11 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2018 - 12:10 AM

For a second time I ran sfc /scannow then dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth on the same screen.  After dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth finished I copy/pasted copy %windir%\Logs\CBS\CBS.log >"%userprofile%\Desktop\CBS.txt" then pressed Enter and nothing was saved onto my desktop.

#12 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2018 - 01:17 PM

Sorry you are having so much trouble. Lets try a different way as follows.

On Windows 8 and Windows 10, press the Windows key, type This PC, and press Enter.
On Windows Vista and Windows 7, click the Start button then click Computer.
Double-click on the C: drive, under the Hard Disk Drives category, and then scroll down to, and double click on the Windows folder.
Find and double click on the Logs folder.
Right-click on the CBS folder, and select Copy.
Go back to your Desktop, right-click on it, and select Paste. You should now see a copy of the CBS folder appear on your Desktop called CBS.
Right-click on this new folder, and navigate through Send to, and select Compressed (zipped) folder.
A new file, also called CBS (CBS.zip), but this time with a different icon, will be created on your desktop.

Upload the cbs.zip file. If it is to large then share over a file sharing site such as Dropbox, google drive, etc

Edited by dmccoy, 21 October 2018 - 01:19 PM.

#13 333nnn

333nnn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 111 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2018 - 02:03 PM

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qtR3LCJT2fe06nGcDb2MaxiVi34JEXQX

#14 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2018 - 11:56 AM

Please bear with me I came down sick yesterday. I appreciate your patience and will get back with you as soon as I can.

#15 dmccoy

dmccoy

• 1,236 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2018 - 07:23 PM

Your logs look clean.

List All Windows Updates

• Click on Start icon
  • Type Command
  • Right click on Command Prompt and select to Run As Administrator
  • Copy and Paste the following into Command Prompt
    wmic qfe > 0 & notepad 0
  • Save the file and upload to your reply

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users