Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Internal 1 TB 7200rpm Seagate about to die. Need help...

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 appsa

appsa

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:15 PM

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:33 PM

Hi,

I'll try to give as much info as possible so bear with me if my thread is long or because of my English.

I have a Seagate 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD which had C, D and E drives in it respectively. I have used for like 6 years or so. All my precious files were in it, without backups.

And that day has finally come where my HDD started failing due to power shortages in my area.
I was using Windows 10 with it and it was installed in C drive. All the important files were located in D and E.

For only one time I did a Scanning on the HDD to make sure if it was the bad sectors and EaseUS found 4 bad sectors on it.

2 days ago it completely stopped working thus preventing the system to operate.

As first things first, I've decided to buy another HDD. I bought 2 TB WD. Installed a fresh copy of Windows 10 on it.

Now, when I plug my broken HDD internally using SATA cables, it refuses to work.

I read on the web that it can be useful to try USB adapters. I went to buy a SATA-to-USB cable. 

Now, here are the random situtaions that I face with up to now.

When I plug it using USB 3.0,

the drive letters are like this,

H - System Reserved
I - Probably old C drive on it and changed to I because my new system occupies that drive letter.
J - corresponds to D drive,
K - corresponding to E drive.

1) At first Windows could recognize the device but it was shown as unallocated at all with 1 TB of free space. But I knew that the files are in it and it was impossible for that HDD to report as empty.

2) I tried opening up Disk management to examine it yet, it gave me an hardware failure error and couldn't do any kind of operations on it. Then, the hdd disappeared from My Computer as if unplugged.

3) Then, I unplugged it like twice. At first it was the same. 
When I double click the drives in file explorer, windows would tell me the disk is inaccessible due to hardware failure.

4) I plugged once more, and voila! In the file explorer I finally saw true values of storage information. in one drive, empty space is the same as it was supposed to be.
Same with the other.
And their total capacities are also correct.

NOW; HERE COMES MY QUESTION.

What are your conclusions on this? Is it a physical error or does it have problems with file structure?

What are my chances to rescue data from this HDD and what tools/procedures do you recommend. 
As far as I see there is a hope for me because I could finally see correct storage reports (empty/filled up space info).

What is the problem with my HDD? Is it that so-called paritition tables (MBR thing)?
If so what can I do about it without formatting the drive?

I desperately need rescuing my project files. At least as much of them as I can.

1) Please do not advise me to take it to a professional data rescue company. Because of people in my area, I do not trust any of them, plus, it is a expensive service that I cannot afford in the mean time.

2) I'm not familiar with Linux approaches so would like to skip that also.

3) I wouldn't prefer to format it or an operation that depends on formatting because I doubt I'll fully recover the important files after such an attempt even with softwares like Recuva, EaseUS etc.
Because most of the files/folders I'm talking about are not like simple JPG files. They are Unity project files, Reaper (DAW) files etc...

Thank you all in advance!

EDIT : One additional info. When I examine the HDD in EaseUS data recovery wizard, it reports "I" drive (which is C in the old system, on which the old windows was setup) as = 0 MB. Yet, The most important drives for me were D & E which correspond to J & K now. They report correct empty/full space. I can give up "I" drive of that HDD without thinking if there is any chance to rescue J & K drives.

Edited by appsa, 10 October 2018 - 12:41 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,444 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:15 AM

Posted 10 October 2018 - 12:50 PM

Please read over this page twice. It was written by a BC member and it's your best chance of recovering your data. Note. Doing this may send your drive into a total failure.

https://html5.litten.com/make-full-image-of-broken-raw-infected-or-encrypted-hard-drive-with-free-tools/

#3 ranchhand_

ranchhand_

• Members
  • 1,710 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:19 AM

You have learned a sad lesson about the importance of backing up your system and data regularly.

Help Requests: If there is no reply after 3 days I remove the thread from my answer list. For further help PM me.

#4 PenjaniM

PenjaniM

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:15 PM

Posted 13 October 2018 - 02:50 AM

That hard drive is in the course of a natural failure. I doubt if you'd even be able to perform a full image of it before it fails completely.

Your best bet would be to manually rescue whatever files you can ( most important ) from it whenever you get Windows to recognize it again.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users