Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick Useer Account Question.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 rolling2live

rolling2live

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:21 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 11:23 PM

Ok, when i go into Internet options in IE it says that it is restricted, then to contact computer admin.. well my user accounts only have one account which is me.. and it says its set as system admin? so how do i acces these options? im not really sure what im doing wrong, but im sure someone knows.. Thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:43 AM

When you first got the computer did you set up an account for yourself or did you just change the name on the built in administrator account?

Try just signing on as Administrator.
What happens?

#3 rolling2live

rolling2live
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 35 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

there is only one user account. When i restart and the log in screen comes up, it just says my name.. no Administrator. Do i have to turn the Guest account on maybe? because i have no options other than to sign in to my own account.

EDIT: when i boot in Safe Mode it lets me sign on Administrator..? don't know why that would be..

Thanks

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,073 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:38 PM

Most systems have the actual Administrator account hidden until you go into Safe Mode.

Generally, there will be an "Owner" account that is setup by the maker of the PC - and they let you rename it when you first setup the system. This owner account is an administrator account, but isn't THE Administrator account.

The reason for this is security. If you use the Administrator account - then 1/2 of the hacker's job is done for him (since every XP computer has an Administrator account). If you then use lax passwords, you've made it easy for a hacker to gain access to your system.

The most likely cause of the errors that you're getting (presuming that your account is an administrator account) is either an anti-virus, anti-spyware, or tweaking program with settings that are too aggressive. Changing these settings might make things better for you.

The next most likely cause is malware - so I'd suggest a free, online scan here: http://safety.live.com/

The next most likely cause is (IMO) a broken installation of Internet Explorer. The fix is simple, but tedious - just uninstall SP2 (if you don't have it - install it!). Then reinstall SP2 (and all the other updates - about 50 of them) and all should be well.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users