Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

fax

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 PDN

PDN

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 AM

Posted 09 October 2018 - 04:51 PM

before I bore you with cables etc may I ask a brief question; if the fax machine cannot receive faxes, would you look to the answering machine or the all in one as the component that should discern between phone and fax?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 688 posts
  •  

Posted 09 October 2018 - 05:04 PM

Depends on how everyhing was setup. Does the AIO or the Answering Machine direct incoming calls?

#3 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 10 October 2018 - 06:07 AM

I don't know but I suspect from your reply that the technology to discern phone from fax is within the all-in-one not the answering machine

#4 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,913 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 PM

Posted 10 October 2018 - 09:48 AM

Always has been a stumbling block between FAX and answering machines.  Pick ups after certain number of rings can be adjusted but neither machine can support the other, that is, they have no way to tell what device is included in the incoming call and direct that device to answer.  The handshaking and syncronization  that has to happen with a fax to acknowledge a proper device has picked up the line.  An answering machine doesn't care or even know what device is calling, it just records whatever is on the line when it is picked up and can't discern a fax signal from any other.

#5 Kilroy

Kilroy

• BC Advisor
  • 3,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:22 AM

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:03 PM

Has it ever worked?  If it hasn't I believe mjd420nova explained some of the issues you are facing.

If it has worked remove the answering machine from the equation and see if the fax works.

#6 PDN

PDN
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 149 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 05:11 PM

I had both ethernet and WiFi so removed the Ethernet from the printer oo the gateway and now it receives as it should -my goof and thanks.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users