Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

laptop screen is not working, but can hear Windows log in sound

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 awtech

awtech

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 08:58 AM

I pressed the power button to resume my laptop from sleep, the blue lights on the machine indicated that it does wake up, but the screen is not working.

I pressed the power button again to turn it off.

And then turned it on again, the screen shown this,

DELL
Inspiron 1525 series
BIOS Revision A16

After that, the screen turned black, didn't show anything.

But I can hear the Windows sound (Windows log in sound).

I took the battery out and held the power button for 60 seconds,
then put the battery back in, and turned on the laptop,
the screen is still not working.

I repeated these steps, still got the same issues.

I don't have an external monitor to test this laptop screen.

My laptop is Dell
Intel® Pentium® Dual CPU T2390 @ 1.86GHz 1.87 GHz
Windows 10

How to fix this problem?

Edited by hamluis, 09 October 2018 - 05:34 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 PhillPower2

PhillPower2

• Members
  • 431 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 08 October 2018 - 01:07 PM

Hello awtech,

See info here for how to test a Dell notebook screen.

Let us know how it goes.

#3 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 AM

Posted 09 October 2018 - 03:49 PM

The fact that you can see the Dell logo and the model indicates the screen is fine; something else is wrong.  What version of Windows are you running?

Computer dinosaur, servicing PC's since 1976

#4 awtech

awtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:39 AM

Hello awtech,

See info here for how to test a Dell notebook screen.

Let us know how it goes.

From the link you gave me;

Method 1

Step 2. Disconnect any peripherals connected to the PC.
>>>> My laptop's keyboard stopped working long time ago. I've been using USB keyboard. And because I have to hold D key in step 4., so I have to connect the USB keyboard to this laptop.

Step 4. Press and hold D key and power on the PC.
>>>> I did not see anything after holding D key and powering on the laptop. The screen was black, didn't show any color bars. I continued to hold D key until I heard the beeps, it sounded like abnormal beebs, so I stopped holding D key. It still didn't show color bars.

Method 2
Step 4. Press and hold Fn key and power on the PC.
>>>> There is no Fn key on USB keyboard. Is there any other key I can hold instead of Fn key?

#5 awtech

awtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 03:54 AM

The fact that you can see the Dell logo and the model indicates the screen is fine; something else is wrong.  What version of Windows are you running?

Really, the screen is fine? I have a hope, right? I may not have to pay a lot to fix this laptop, right?
I'm running Windows 10.

#6 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 08:15 AM

OK, the Inspiron 1525 is quite old and it is a real shame that the keyboard wasn't fixed earlier (they're about $15 to $20 brand new on eBay and pretty easy to swap)  The laptop also has a CCFL display which means there is a fluorescent light bulb about the size of a piece of spaghetti and a high voltage power supply that makes it light up. (LCD's absorb light and it is the fluorescent bulb which makes the background glow white)  The CCFL bulb and/or the supply for it used to be very common failures which I fixed on a regular basis; but, there are two relatively easy tests.

The first would be to get into setup (hit F2 a bunch of times while the Dell logo is on the screen); but, that may not work from the external keyboard.  If the LCD stayed bright in setup, the CCFL bulb and/or power supply is OK.

The second is to shine a flashlight sideways down the LCD itself while its booted.  If the backlight is the problem, the Windows picture would still be there; it would just be very dark.  I can almost always see, at least, the mouse pointer moving around when I move it.

The key is in the fact that many failing CCFL backlights will work for a couple of seconds and then go dark.

#7 awtech

awtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 09:24 AM

I powered on the laptop, then hit F2 continuously, the blue screen of set up page flashed up for a second, and then went dark. I shined the light sideway down the LCD, I could see the menu on the left side of the screen, but I couldn't read, it was very very dark.

Is it a good sign that at least I was able to see something on the screen?

What to do next?

Edited by awtech, 11 October 2018 - 09:30 AM.

#8 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 11 October 2018 - 11:35 AM

You just nailed the problem as the backlight.  I have both the LCD panel and the "inverter" board (high voltage power supply for the backlight) here in my shop; but, since the whole assembly is $35, I'd suggest you just replace all of it:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Inspiron-1525-15-4-LCD-Assembly-Pink/283188495857?hash=item41ef5985f1:g:I4YAAOSwuWha5~Yj:rk:1:pf:0

The service manual will tell you how to take it apart properly and all you need is a number one Phillips screwdriver:

https://downloads.dell.com/manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-1525_service%20manual_en-us.pdf

It is not very difficult; but, then I've been doing it since 1976.....

#9 awtech

awtech
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2018 - 10:39 AM

It looks difficult, I'm not confident that I could replace all those by myself. I guess I finally have to go to a repair shop. Although I don't want to go.

But before I go to a repair shop, I just need to be sure that there is really nothing else I can do, right? Like pressing buttons to recover the screen, anything else I can do at home? Do I have other choices?

And if I have to go to a repair shop, can I tell them to change just the backlights or light bulbs? Or do I need to change the whole LCD panel?

#10 DavisMcCarn

DavisMcCarn

• Members
  • 978 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2018 - 06:48 AM

The problem is a hardware one and only replacing the failing part will fix it.  Because of the laptop's age I posted the entire LCD assembly rather than the LCD panel and inverter.  They, BTW, would be harder to replace.

You might save some money by buying the LCD assembly yourself and asking them to swap it.

I have changed backlight bulbs which entails disassembling the LCD panel itself and is very difficult.

P.S. Having the LCD light up for a few seconds after you turn it on is a classic problem I saw a lot of several years ago and its a 50/50 crapshoot as to whether it is the LCD panel or the inverter.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users