Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hard Drive Running Constantly

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 HJPotter

HJPotter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

I've scrubbed for spyware, viruses and defragged. Now running Win XP SP2, 1 GB RAM, P4 3GHz CPU with Kerio Personal Firewall, NOD 32 and Sunbelt SpySweeper.

FWIW, the drive runs constantly, even at the DOS screen before loading Win XP Safe Mode (keeps running in Safe Mode); also runs at normal WinXP logon screen before entering password.

Odd thing, it seems to run apps comfortably fast. The CPU load seems quite low. I just can't figure out why the drive runs all the time. I've looked at the data from Sysinternals Filemon - virtually all the activity is the E: drive (SATA drive described above).

Any thoughts?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:26 PM

There are various Windows maintenance processes that run whenever other aps are not consuming all the resources so a constantly running HD is normal.

#3 HJPotter

HJPotter
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 7 posts
  •  

Posted 19 October 2006 - 11:36 AM

Thanks for responding. I'm a bit skeptical, however, since none of the other six PCs in our office exhibits this kind of activity. I'll keep looking.

#4 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 19 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

You can use Startup Inspector to determine what programs are running as a result of being in the startup menu when Windows starts.

Startup Inspector freeware (manages startup menu helps you identify aps in the startup menu so you can disable unnecessary programs from running in the background when they are not needed)

And

Startup Monitor (a small freeware ap available on the same page to notify you and require your permission for any program to add itself to your startup menu)

http://www.windowsstartup.com/download.php

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 20 October 2006 - 10:11 AM

There are many innocuous settings that can cause this behavior.

Presuming that the E: drive isn't your boot drive - then this is likely the result of a corrupted program.

I'd suggest trying to stop the processes in Task Manager (one at a time) to see if this will stop the access. Be careful what you stop tho' - as some of them will force a reboot.

If you don't know what a process is, check the Startup List at the top of this page ( http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/startups/ ) Be careful with the list - some things that may seem bad are actually good - and vice versa. Try the services that are running programs that you recognize first.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users