Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Javascript Popups

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Stotic

• Members
  • 48 posts
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:13 PM

Hello, I'm creating a week schedule that displays several radio shows for my school's radio station. My plan is to have each show on the calender link to a popup that displays a little info about the show. I know the basics on how to do popups, but is there a way to write all the javascript within the body at each link because I don't want to put 30 javascript blocks in my head for each link. Also, how do I make the popups cross-browser compatable?

Thanks for your help!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 groovicus

• Security Colleague
  • 9,963 posts
  • Local time:04:09 PM

Posted 17 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

I think you may not have real good luck with pop-ups. Most browsers (even IE) block popups by default. Then there are people like me that have Javascript disabled. You may want to consider a tooltip instead. See this example. You are still going to have to hard code in the text for each link. Unless you are able to dynamically create web-pages, you won't have much of a choice.

#3 Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  • Local time:05:09 PM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 08:28 PM

Actually, if you're going to use popups, or a link is going to open up a popup, you'll be more sucessful if you at least post a message stating

"This link will open a popup window. Make sure your popup blocker will allow it"

That seems to work pretty well. I've seen it alot, and I know that people hate popups, but they can be good, especially since you don't wantto have to go to another page, when the popup can show it to you right there while you're still on your page.

That's my take on it if I'm going to use popups. Just inform them ahead of time.

But if you want to automate the links within the popups, or whatever method you use,,,, php/mysql, databases are the way to go. Just put the data in the database, and it'll do all the work for you.

One Man's Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users