Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Notepad.exe

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 ariescards

ariescards

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:47 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

I have just purchased a new tower with XP (home edition) and discovered I can no longer use Notepad as I have done for years on 98 2nd edition.
I design Greeting Cards and have always clicked on desktop and opened a new text file and folder and renamed them for each new design namely; joeblow and joeblow.html. The text file would turn into a html file. I then add the graphics etc to the folder along with the html file. I work offline until design is finished and then check it out with a free CSE HTML Validator before I upload it to Geocities.

I am feeling very frustrated at present and so far have worked out that by downloading EditPad Lite I can create a number of "draft files via it" by adding the template that I have created. So far this is the only way I have worked out how I might be able to work.
Before I go any further does anybody have a better solution. I am html brainwashed and have found it hard to switch to Dreamweaver which was what I had been thinking of doing.

I have been back on my old tower this morning as I hadn't saved to disk some of the files that I needed to transfer to the new tower. I hadn't realised that all folders had not been copied.

I love Notepad and using html, so if you can help I would really appreciate it.

Edited by ariescards, 14 October 2006 - 09:42 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mvs

mvs

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:17 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:09 PM

^ windows XP has Notepad . why cant you use it - strange !
Lets Quote Only the relevant parts of Previous Posts

#3 ariescards

ariescards
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:37 PM

Hi,
I'm aware Notepad is on the XP but I can't turn it into a html file on the desktop so that I can start coding its source page with html. To my knowledge it is staying as a text file. This is the problem I am trying to solve. Do I have to learn a new way of using html files?

All help would be appreciated.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

check out this link:http://www.notetab.com/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:47 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:23 PM

You can use Open Office writer to save in HTML
It will also do most if not all of the functions that MS Office will do.

Freeware:

http://www.openoffice.org/

#6 ariescards

ariescards
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:20 PM

I CAN do what I was used to doing on 98 with notepad! I've finally found a tutorial that explains exactly what to do with XP to turn notepad into html files on the desktop as per my initial query. For the benefit of others who may have this same problem, go to this address and read their tutorial. I hope it helps you stop panicing when you first switch over and have used my procedure for years. LOL
Go to this site and they tell you what to unclick so that you can change a text notepad into a html file on your desktop.
http://www.htmlquick.com/tutorials/how-to-begin.html
I have looked at editors suggested but html coding is so second nature to me now that this way is quicker for me than relearning which buttons to push etc. I hope this is a help to others like myself. It is for me. I can start designing again. LOL If I can help anybody, please don't hesitate to ask.
Many thanks Ariescards

#7 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:47 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:46 PM

You can change any .txt file into a .html file by simply renaming it. You must first be able to view the extension of the file. To set up your computer to do this, go to

My Documents > Tools > Folder Options > View

Uncheck Hide Extensions for Known File Types
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#8 ariescards

ariescards
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:15 PM

Dear Albert,
You are so smart you are definitely scary. Yes, you are spot on. That is exactly what I was told in the tutorial I found. You made it even clearer for other people who may be following this storyline. Thanks for replying.
OK! Question open for reply from anybody. I've noticed that the <UL> is no longer working? I have had to switch coding to <OL> Am I doing something wrong or has this coding changed? I haven't tried it on the XP yet.
Regards
Joan Sydney Australia

#9 Diegosolo

Diegosolo

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:47 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:21 PM

Dear Aries:
You can enter to the site you mentioned before to see a list of tags and deprecated tags: http://www.htmlquick.com/reference/tags.html
You can also read more about deprecated tags at http://www.htmlquick.com/reference/deprecated.html
I think you can find there the information you need about the <ol> and <ul> tags. The <ul> tag is used to underline the text, the non deprecated replacement for this are CSS attributes. You can easily replace the <ul> this way:

Deprecated:

<p>Hello <ul>this</ul> is underlined</p>

Non deprecated:

<p>Hello <span style="text-decoration: underline">this</span> is underlined</p>

Hope it helps. Bye...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users