Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hkcu/seekglobaluser?

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 woohoo

woohoo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:20 PM

Alrighty, so here';s what's going on: I was looking through my startup list, looking up(that's how I found bleepingcomputer) and unchecking items that might be slowing me down, when it struck me that I should look at my registry too. Now, I have no experience with registries, but I figured I'd take a look for anything fishy... I found this in HKCU:

-seekglobaluser
|_
UpBash

That's my best impression of it, seekglobal user is the folder in HKCU, and UpBash is a subordinate of that.
In seekglobaluser, I found:

Name Type Data
(Default) REG_SZ value not set
nurb lite REG_BINARY >long hex code here<

Maybe its just me, but "seekglobauser", "UpBash", and "nurblite" sound a little suspicious. I found absolutely no information about these terms on google.

My other question is, suppose I've uninstalled a certain software, half life 2 demo for example. There is still a Valve folder in HKCU. Can I delete that safely, and do I need to do anything first? Will I gain anything from it?

Once upon a time, I used GMail FS (Gmail Drive), a shell extension that allows me to store files on gmail as attachments, only using the interface of a folder/drive named gmail. Not the most useful thing in the world, but I figured I'd try it out. Only thing is, now it is obselete. I've uninstalled it, yes, "GMail Drive" is also still shown as a drive in My Computer, but it doesn't do squat. Can a delete this entry?

Other entries I'd like to get rid of are those of Google Web Accelerator, America Online, Napster (never installed this, probably has something to do with windows media player), net quartz expad (I have no idea what to do about this, I don't think I need it, but do I?). Also found TopThemes, which I don't think I need...

You'll notice that all the above ar concerning HKEY_CURRENT_USER, is the case the same for HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE? there are a couple entries under SOFTWARE I could do without, I think, mainly all repetition from HKCU, plus some more like McAffe.com (I use AVG).

Any guidance/advice will be much appreciated. Thanks

sincerely,
woohoo

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,319 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:48 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

A lot of members here are pleased with the results of cleaning the registry by using Windows Live OneCare safety scanner. I would think that would be better than trying to decipher all the possible errors or leftovers from uninstalled programs.

http://safety.live.com/site/en-us/default
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:48 AM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:20 AM

...I have no experience with registries, but I figured I'd take a look for anything fishy...

If you have no experience, then how do you know what to look for that may be "fishy"? If you are not familiar with working in the registry, then you should NOT attempt to make any changes on your own. Improper changes to the registry could adversely affect your computer and render it inoperable.
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users