Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Gone Mad, Pstores Files Gone, Can't Reinstall

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 abbey_raod

abbey_raod

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:52 PM

Hello-

Im an old registered member who cannot remember their info so I had to re register. :thumbsup:

Today, IE has gone weird, now I see all pstores files are gone. Ive been trying for hours to fix this, but nothing I do works. I cannot re install IE, as it stops halfway through to inform me that pstores is missing (duh) then it starts to uninstall current IE, then freezes. Ive tried the Microsoft way, but just go around in cricles. I want to try SFC to extract pstores, but I dont know where the path is on C:\windows.

How do I get to re install IE? All I get is PSTORES.dll is missing and PStores.exe is missing.

ANY help would be greatly appreciated, Im about to bang my head into a wall.
:flowers:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

Forgot to mention...

when I try and re install IE this is what I get--->

A previous installation has pending work requiring a reboot. You need to restart your computer to compltete that installation.[b]

Ive rebooted at least 5 times and I still get the same message.
:thumbsup: :flowers:

#3 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:01 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:42 PM

The link below gives solutions to your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q271510/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#4 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:14 PM

The link below gives solutions to your problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q271510/

Ive read that page three times in the course of a few hours, and nothing on there works. Meaning, for example:

"To obtain a new copy of the Pstores.exe file and associated files, reinstall Microsoft Internet Explorer."

I cannot reinstall IE. Everytime I try, it gives me a box that says 'pstores is missing", yeah I know that. Then it 'seems' to go forward with an uninstall/reinstall, but freezes up everytime until it's not responding. the MS DOS prompt thing wont work either, keeps saying bad file or command.

Ive been at this for HOURS, all I want to do is re install IE for criminey sake!

Thanks for the reply. :thumbsup:

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:59 PM

What OS and which IE browser are you using?
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 12:28 PM

What OS and which IE browser are you using?

Win98 // IE6

I tried again 3 more times to re install IE but it freezes up and evolves into a 'not repsonding' status. I really am out of ideas. :thumbsup:

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

found this bit of info on the web:

click on Start and Accessories and select the DOS Command Prompt icon. Then type (without the quotes) "cd c: 1/4windows 1/4system" and tap Return to move to the required directory. Now type in the command "pstores --install" and tap Return. That will reactivate the Protected Storage service and permit password entries.

pstores.exe program is stored in the C: 1/4Windows 1/4System directory.

#8 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

If that doesn't work go to add/remove and click delete (IE6) and you shouod get an option to repair.
If you doi not, try to roll it back to a previous version, reboot and then try installing IE6 again.

#9 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:11 PM

found this bit of info on the web:

click on Start and Accessories and select the DOS Command Prompt icon. Then type (without the quotes) "cd c: 1/4windows 1/4system" and tap Return to move to the required directory. Now type in the command "pstores --install" and tap Return. That will reactivate the Protected Storage service and permit password entries.

When I put in cd c: 1/4windows 1/4system it comes back:

too many parameters - 1

ugh. :thumbsup:

#10 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:14 PM

If that doesn't work go to add/remove and click delete (IE6) and you shouod get an option to repair.
If you doi not, try to roll it back to a previous version, reboot and then try installing IE6 again.

This is what I thought as well!

When I go to add/remove, and try to repair, it starts then a dialog box comes up that says 'cannot repair Internet Explorer", so I go ahead with a return to previous configuration. It STARTS to uninstall/reinstall, then halfway through tells me pstores is missing (duh) and APPEARS to go forward with a box that says uninstalling components, processing....but then freezes up and evolves into a 'not responding' status.

::pulling out hair::
:thumbsup:

#11 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:17 PM

Tried this bit in SFC as well. Says:

the name of this file contains an invalid character

Could be one of the "1"'s....

#12 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:27 PM

Got it to go to SYSTEM by using:

cd c:\windows\system

Did the pstores -install, dunno if it worked, the prompt went back to system, no discernible sign it did anything.... :thumbsup:

gonna reboot.

thanks! :flowers:

#13 I_am_CanadianEh?

I_am_CanadianEh?

• Members
  • 489 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:29 PM

Try these...you never know: :thumbsup:

1) Delete all your temporary internet files, delete your history and all your cookies.

2) Remove temp files from the windows directory, root directory and your user account directory. Don't worry if some cannot be deleted...they may be in use, and this is normal.

3) DISABLE your antivirus, firewall programs and try the rolling back, or unistalling IE again. Make sure you turn both back after you're done and/or go on the internet!

If that doesn't work:

Try doing it in SAFE MODE.

Good luck! :flowers:

#14 abbey_raod

abbey_raod
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:35 PM

IT WORKED!!

CD C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM

THEN PSTORES - INSTALL
:thumbsup: :inlove: :woot:
:flowers: :trumpet:

I did this at least 10 times yesterday at MS DOS but not the exact command as above.

MANY MANY thanks!!!!!!!!!!!
:cool:

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,320 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

That is why I always copy and paste commands. One missed space or wrong character and OOOPS!!
By the way did you mispell Abbey Road? Switch the letters a and o? There was a steak house in South Florida with that name back when. It was my favorite.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users