Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Web Hosting

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 frankie12

frankie12

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:55 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:26 PM

I don't know if there have any topics about this (can't search web) so sorry if this is a repost question.

Does anyone know of any web hosting?

I DO NOT want a free web supported web hosting. I already own a .com name and am looking for a cheap non-ad supported web hosting?

Also my domain name is through GoDaddy so can I have hosting from another website or service (because GoDaddy's rates are pretty high)

I have found one I like which is 1 & 1 Internet Inc (They have a hosting plan for $2.24). Has anyone ever heard anything or used 1 &1 before?

Thanks in advance!!! :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 frankie12

frankie12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 21 October 2006 - 10:11 PM

when i meant can't search web I was talking about BC search.

So does anyone have an answer for me?

#3 groovy2

groovy2

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:54 AM

1. What problems are you having with the BC Search?

2. With web hosting, you get what you pay for. If you have the ability to do everything for yourself, then you can probably go with a cheaper provider. However, that $2.24 rate may only be for a single page, or a limited introductory offer, etc. If you are going to need alot of hand holding to get things set up, then you will want to pay more for a provider that is going to be able to provide the support that you need.

Just a cursory glance through the package that you are considering, there is no support, and minimal security. There also does not apear to be any script suppport.

IMHO, price should be the last consideration when choosing a provider.

#4 frankie12

frankie12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 941 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2006 - 07:43 PM

I don't really have a problem with the BC search it is just that you can't search three letter words (like web).

Second, I know not to go with the cheapest (if you notice there is cheaper sites). But does anyone know of a good review page or web hosting (or if you know of any web hosting sites that would be great).

Also if I do use another companies webhosting does that I have to transfer the domain name?

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:55 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 01:31 AM

I have been using Yahoo to host a site. $12\month Yahoo Web Hosting.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#6 Walkman

Walkman

• Banned
  • 1,327 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 29 October 2006 - 05:59 PM

Frankie12, you can use any web hosting company you want and still leave your domain at it's registrar where you registered it. Some may have you point to their nameservers and some may not.

Before you consider any hosting company, you'd better do these simple checks, or you may end up with a site that is literally banned from search engines and millions of other web sites.

1. Check out the ip address of the intended hosting company. This is where 99% of the people fail at. If that company is on a banned ip list, like PeerGuardian, for instance, then using an ip address from those bad companies will indeed keep your brand new web site blacklisted/banned.

2. Depending on what you are using the site for, you may request an ip address of your own (non-shared).

3. Some of the best hosting companies out there are the ones that are not mainstream. Meaning, they don't have millions of users on them. Try to stay away from those companies if you can.

4. Make sure the company supports everything you're looking to use on your site.. eg, MySQL, cgi-bins, email accounts, cron jobs, scripting, ftp access AND a control panel accees, and a host of other features that should be standard with the site package.

But at less than $3 per month, I'm second to say that you'll probably get a 1 page or so web site, with nothing much after that. That's just my take on it.

I buy and sell domain names, and I'm a hosting company myself. The reason I haven't hosted as a company yet is because I've been too busy doing other projects, and I don't have a team to help out with support emails. I could do it for awhile, but if word gets out about my packages and my prices, I'll have to hire some support, which I don't mind. Right now I own approximately 135 domain names, and I have many of the sites up and running right now.

I plan on expanding by the end of this year, and going full flesh with my hosting business. Just look around and see who can offer you what you need, and if you're still at a stand-still, you can post back here and I'll post the link where you can demo the control panel and what you'll get, and I can let you test drive a server for 30 days FREE of charge. As far a cost, I was thinking about $10-$20 per month for about 5Gigs of space. I'll reseach more on who's out there and what they offer, then I'll charge less than all of them.

Remember: no matter what hosting company you go with, you want to make sure they're not on any kind of ip address blocked list.

Walkman
One Man's Opinion

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users