Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Plug And Play (windows Xp Pro) Malfunctioning

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 csd

csd

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:51 PM

Recently attempted to install new Canon Multifunction printer. When nearly finished with installation (after I had connected the USB plug to computer and turned on printer) the computer when black and froze. I tried a second time, same thing. Computer went black before boot up even ended. Finally discovered that I needed to unplug the printer in order to get Windows working again.

Endless call with Canon determined that my plug and play feature is not working. (We installed the printer on my 6-year old laptop without difficulty, so we know the software disk is OK.) Can't figure out how to get help from Microsoft-Windows XP - no luck with knowledge base. Can anyone give me suggestions for repairing plug and play (it was working 4 months ago) or how to speak to someone at Microsoft?

Many Thanks

csd

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 fleamailman

fleamailman

• Members
  • 200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:35 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:11 PM

details please:
- what type computer
- age of computer
- how much ram

questions:
- you installed the cd program 100%, and rebooted, before connecting device =
- you have turned off the protection in case of conflicts during the installation =
- you have tried connecting the printer turned on so that there is enough current in the USB cord to correctly tell the computer that is it a printer =

-
everyday is a gift

#3 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:35 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 03:00 AM

Getting Plug and Play device driver supportWindows installs a Plug and Play device and its driver automatically. If you choose to install an older driver or hardware device, however, you may have limited Plug and Play support or none at all.

Using a Plug and Play driver with a non-Plug and Play device may provide some Plug and Play support. Although the system cannot recognize the hardware and load the appropriate drivers on its own, Plug and Play can oversee the installation by allocating resources, interacting with Power Options in Control Panel, and recording any issues in the Event Log.

Generally, you cannot install non-Plug and Play hardware without performing some manual setup. Use the Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel or Device Manager to change the settings for these older devices.

Before uninstalling a Plug and Play device, you must use Device Manager to notify Windows that you want to remove the device. Once you notify Windows, the drivers for the device are no longer loaded when you start your computer.

Important

You must be logged on as an administrator or a member of the Administrators group in order to install a device using the Add Hardware Wizard in Control Panel or Device Manager. If your computer is connected to a network, network policy settings may also prevent you from installing hardware. If an administrator has already loaded the drivers for a device, you can install the device without administrator privileges.
-Windows Help (on your computer - start/help)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users