Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Virusburst Removed? Hijackthis Dn. Ld. - Unseccussful

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Marlon

Marlon

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:21 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:34 PM

CC: Grinler
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have had problems for the last two weeks, starting w/VirusBurst. Tried to remove per this site but don't know if sucessful, because icons were to big to get to in safe mode. Although I do not get popups from VirusBurst anymore, I have incountered additional problems. Have tried several diff. downloads mentioned on this site, some sucessful - some not including Highjackthis. Surfing is getting slower - Desktop is getting clutterd....Please Help!!!

My computer knowledge is very limited, so please bare with me. By the way, this is my first time sending a message/ posting to a site, therefore I am not sure if I'm doing this right.

I might not figure out how to get your reply! So if you could can you also please send your reply to my email:

Your help would be very very appreciated!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you in advance,

Marlon

P.S. I have XP Home - MSIE 6.0; SV1; .NET CLR 1.1.4322 - DSL

//Mod edit: To clean up BB code tags and remove email address to protect from spamming.

Edited by KoanYorel, 14 October 2006 - 01:48 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 KoanYorel

KoanYorel

Bleepin' Conundrum

• Staff Emeritus
  • 19,461 posts
  •  
  • Location:65 miles due East of the "Logic Free Zone", in Md, USA
  • Local time:08:21 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:47 PM

Hi Marlon & Welcome to the BC forums.

May I suggest you review our " New User Orientation " forum?
It will provide many answers to questions you may have about our site.

Regards,
KoanYorel
The only easy day was yesterday.

...some do, some don't; some will, some won't (WR)

#3 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 01:57 PM

"Have tried several diff. downloads mentioned on this site, some sucessful - some not including Highjackthis."

I am not sure this information is very clear. What downloads have you tried to use? Was the problem that you could NOT successfully complete the download and install of these applications, or that you used them, but these did not seem to resolve your problems.
Could you explain what problem you were having with the HJT application, and what instructions did you follow to download it?

BC staff members do not engage in one-on-one private member help, since this precludes not only other helpers from aiding them in the resolution of the problem, but also other members from benefitting from it later. Our first step will be to clarify your problem using the applications, especially HJT, then help you to post that log in the HJT forum, where one of our team of experts will walk you through, step-by-step, the cleaning process.

Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#4 Marlon

Marlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

Thank you KoanYorel and John for your advice and suggestions.

John here is the info. you requested.

Downloads that have been successful (I think) include:

smitRem.exe, Ad-Aware SE Personal, Spybot S&D., Spy Sweeper, ZoneAlarm Pro, (13 of 15 day trial) McAfee Avert Stinger. Although I'm not certain I clicked on correct links to dn. ld. each. Also BitDefender Online Scanner w/Scan Report generated Thur. Oct. 12,

Unseccessful: HijackThis - got as far as fig. 6 per topic 34773 - unable to do system scan and save log file. Also dn ld Roguescanfix_setup.exe - unable to scan.

Please forgive me for late reply. I had a long appt. and started my two finger typing asap.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

I think you are confusing successful downloads with actually being able to use the program afterwards. Sounds like you had problems running a scan with Roguescanfix and then using Hijackthis after installation. Did you receive the message in Fig 6 (HijackThis has successfully been extracted) after following the directions? Is there an icon for it on your desktop?

If not, did you look here > C:\Program Files\HijackThis
to see if a folder was created? If so, did you double-click on hijackthis from that folder and did it launch the program?

I'm asking these questions because we need you to be more specific in describing what is going on. You need to tell us exactly what you are doing that results in your inability to do a scan and save a log file?

BTW, did you run scans with Ad-Aware SE Personal and Spybot S&D?
Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#6 Marlon

Marlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:13 PM

Hi Quietman7, Thank you for your

I have the 2 icons on my desktop of Roguescanfix - when I click on icon a screen pops up asking me to,

1. Run Roguescanfix
2. Run sharedtasksrem
E. Exit - I click on Run Roguescanfix and nothing happens. I also click on others nothing.

Also I had HijackThis on desktop but it got removed by other scans..Also have had Ad-Aware SE and Spybot for a long time and have run scans on both.

Although every time I run a scan on Spybot this is the results I get -

Microsoft Windows SecurityCenter. FirewallDisableNotify 1 entries
LSA 2 entries
Microsoft Windows ActiveDesktop 1 entries
Microsoft Windows SecurityCenter AntiVirusDisableNotify 1 entries

When I click fix problems this what happens......Confirmation pops up - you are about to remove these entries. Do you want to continue- Yes No....I click yes.....another window pops up stating, Some problems couldn't be fixed; the reason could be that the associated files are still in use (in memory). This could be fixed after restart. May Spybot S&D run on your next system startup? Yes No. I click yes - another confirm. pops up 0 problems fixed. 2 problems could not be fixed. Please restart your comfuser. I click the x in the upper right corner.............One last question. Is it normal to get 2 similar icons when dn. loading

#7 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:19 AM

I have the 2 icons on my desktop of Roguescanfix...

Hold off on using that tool for now and lets concentrate on getting you to create a hijackthis log. The desktop icon for hijackthis is only a shortcut to its folder in Program Files. Did you look for that folder yet? If its there you can double-click on hijackthis from that location to launch the program, perform a scan and save a log file as shown here.

For your Spybot alerts on Windows Security Center read the discussion here and here.

#8 Marlon

Marlon
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:24 AM

Quietman7,

Thanks a million for your help, but I do not know how to seach for folder.

Marlon

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 50,560 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:46 PM

There are several ways to do this.

1. Right click on the Start Menu > choose Explore, navigate to Program Files, expand it and look for the Hijackthis folder.

2. Right click on My Computer on the desktop > choose Explore, click on Local Disk (C:) to expand, navigate to and expand Program Files, then look for the folder.

3. Go to Start > Run and in the Open box, type : C:\Program Files
Press OK and navigate to the folder.

If you cannot find it in Program Files, then you probably did not install it properly. If that is the case, follow the instructions here for proper download and install.

#10 Orange Blossom

Orange Blossom

OBleepin Investigator

• 36,693 posts
  •  

Posted 16 October 2006 - 12:47 PM

Double click on My Computer, then Local Disk (probably C), then Program Files. The list should be in alphabetical order. See if HiJack This is in the list. If it is, double click on it. When opened there will be a few files. Click on the one that says HiJackThis.exe and has a picture of a plunger with some tied up sticks of dynamite by it.

Orange Blossom :thumbsup:

Edit: It looks like we cross-posted here Quietman7.

Edited by Orange Blossom, 16 October 2006 - 12:49 PM.

Help us help you. If HelpBot replies, you MUST follow step 1 in its reply so we know you need help.

Orange Blossom

An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure

SpywareBlaster, WinPatrol Plus, ESET Smart Security, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware, NoScript Firefox ext., Norton noscript

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users