Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Anything Else?

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aq2

aq2

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:43 PM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 10:22 AM

Hi, Besides DX 10 what other good reason is there in updating to vi$ta?

From looks of screen shots from games using DX10 that is about the only update worth having.

security may be better then xp after two or four service packs or so ???

I'm still not confident that this vista will be good,Mirco$oft has spent many moons on building this OS and i still do not think its even close to be bug free

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 15 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

I've been using Vista for quite a while now and the security is much, much better than it is in XP (primarily due to User Account Control and IE Protected Mode).

The boost that you'll see for gaming will revolve around 2 things:
1) The improvements to the OS, like DX10
2) The improved hardware needed to run Vista effectively.

As for being "bug-free" - if it was bug free it wouldn't still be in beta! But RC2 is stable enough for me to use as my primary OS - so I'm figuring that it's getting pretty close to release.

The decision to upgrade is a personal one. If you're more than just an average user (being on the forums means that you are), then it comes down to what you want.

Do you want to be on the cutting edge of technology? Then Vista and it's hardware requirements will put you there (I'm building a new system just for this purpose).

But, can you afford all the new hardware? Vista isn't a quantum leap in performance by itself. You'll see performance increases that are due more to the hardware than to the OS itself.

FWIW, IMO if you're fairly knowledgable with XP, don't have a bunch of money, and don't have a specific need for Vista (ie - I need it so that I can support others when they encounter problems) - then stick with XP until the prices come down.

Finally, Vista is being pushed out the door. They've dropped features from it to meet the deadlines. So, I'd expect Service Packs to come out as things are developed. One of the things that I'm looking forward to is the development of the WinFS file system. Also, I'd expect less in the way of Security fixes just because of the way that Vista runs.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 aq2

aq2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:32 AM

Hi, sounds good.Problem for me is that i fall into the group of who would like to have DX 10, The system I have now I think it will past as a mid to lower end system with vista which I do not think it will be much boost in performance. I do not have the funds to upgrade my system hardware in order to run vista and get the most out of vista.I'm not sure what to do I may upgrade what i can on the system I'm running and hope for better time down the road which will allow me to build another system.

Specs

P4 3.20 Ghz HT enable
6800 GT vid card
1.5 Gb of ram, (3 3 3 8)*Think thats the timming
450W psu/
Asus (agp) mATX board

I'm not sure how vista will run on my system.I may upgrade to a 7600 GS card and buy new memory at 2.0 GB of ram and test vista and see how well it does,If funding will allow it.

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 10:14 AM

I'd stick with what you've got until you actually have to have DX10. Prices will drop some by then.

Also, you're limited to an AGP bus for your vid card (the nVidia AGP cards only go up to the 7800 GS) - so you'll need a PCIe vidcard to take advantage of the DX10...which means a mobo that can support it. etc, etc, etc.

FWIW - I'm in a similar hardware situation (Asus P4P800 SE mobo) so I'm starting to shop for a new system. Since the new technologies have matured, and since Vista is coming out, and since I have some funds available for this - I'll upgrade now rather than waiting for the prices to drop even further. Here's the specs that I'm looking at:

Coolermaster Centurian 5 case
PC Power and Cooling Silencer 610 EPS12V PSU
MSI 975X PLATINUM Power Up Edition mobo
(Onboard sound and NIC)
Core 2 Duo E6600 OEM
ThermalRight Ultra-120 CPU cooler
2 gB of PC2-6400 memory (OCZ is $25 cheaper than Corsair)
2 - WD Raptor 150GB Hard Drives (no RAID - just too expensive)
ATI Radeon X1900 XTX Video Card (overkill for me - any suggestions for lower?)
Pioneer DVR-111D Dual Layer DVD±RW

I haven't toted up the prices yet - but the vid card will be the first thing that I downgrade. Next will be the PSU (it's 3 x as much as the case).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 aq2

aq2
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:30 PM

Yea, that is my biggest complaint with vista is that is seems to be so demanding on systems. Around $400.00 for the OS and something like $4,000 or more on a new system just does not sound to cool to me right now.

What your planning on buying looks good to me.,

I would look at the DFI mobo, I have heard and read good write ups on them.

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

I haven't seen any reviews on the DFI mobo (I got most of my results from Toms Hardware) - but will definitely look into it! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users