Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Dual Operating Screen Message

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Randyman

Randyman

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:56 AM

I recently got a new Dell Optiplex 745. It came pre-installed, but I made an error installing new applications, so I reinstalled Windows XP Professional from the Dell reinstallation disk. Or so I thought. Even though I took my time to try to understand and follow the instructions, I seem to have ended up with a parallel installation instead of a clean, new one. I tried again, but with the same result. Now, when I boot, I get the screen where there is the message "Please select the operating system to start". Both options are for Windows XP. I set the timeout value in the boot.ini file to 3 seconds, on the advice of the Dell technician. That's all they could help me with. The installation disk does not have the option to do a clean install or a hard drive format. Please help! Do I have two parallel installs of the o/s or not? Why do I keep getting the screen to choose an o/s? Why can't I do a format and clean install? This is driving me nuts. Thanks for any help anyone can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:11 AM

Why did you reinstall Windows instead of just deleting the applications you added?

The Manufacturer's Restore CD will restore the computer's hard drive and software state to exactly the way it was when new. (The Restore CD which from what you described is what you have although Dell will provide a Windows CD which you should call support and insist that they do (or you may be able to make one with the software on your computer)

USA Hardware Support 1-800-624-9896

How Do I Create a CD Containing My Operating System with the Dell™ OS Recovery Utility?
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/glo...&dn=1091713

Where can I get the Windows CD?

Answer - Email or Chat with Dell. Explain your situation and the Dell representative should issue you the Windows CD.
http://forums.us.dell.com/supportforums/bo...=204505#M204505

#3 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:13 AM

The Dell CD's should give you the option to format and reinstall - if they don't then there's a problem that goes deeper than this.

Which Dell CD's do you have?

There's several ways to delete a parallel installation - but you've gotta be careful not to delete something essential to the installation that you want to keep.

If hard disk size isn't an issue, it may be simplest to edit the boot.ini file and remove the second installation from the boot options.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#4 Randyman

Randyman
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:18 AM

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:05 PM

There's several ways to delete a parallel installation - but you've gotta be careful not to delete something essential to the installation that you want to keep.

Could you be more specific about how to delete a parallel installation?

#5 budershank

budershank

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 03:15 PM

If you didn't delete any partitions when you did the reinstall and your computer is in fact new you can do what Dell calls a PC Restore. It just uses an image taken of your hard drive when they sent it out to you. So by using the PC restore it will wipe everything out and makes it basically be the exact same way it was when you took it out of the box.

When your computer is booting up and it says www.Dell.com and a bar is going across the screen hit CTRL and F11 at the same time. It's tough to catch and usually takes a few tries. After that just follow the directions.

#6 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  

Posted 14 October 2006 - 07:03 PM

If you are going to do the Restore, physically disconnect all peripherals (like the printer or anything plugged into the USB ports except the mouse and keyboard)

The only things that should be connected to the PC are the monitor, the mouse and the keyboard.

#7 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,077 posts
  •  

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

Deleting a parallel installation is a bit tricky - that's why I didn't give explicit instructions in my last post.

First question - do you just want to remove it from the boot menu, or do you want to get rid of all traces of it from your system?

Second question - is the hard drive size an issue for you? How much free space is available (both as a % of the drive, and the number of gB that are free).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users